Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Holiday Garland

Driving home from the office Christmas party tonight, I saw the lights from what Wilmywood claims is the world largest living Christmas tree - at least I think that's what it was. And then I had a sudden memory of going to Port City Java with Kim one night right before Christmas when we were in grad school. We were in her Camry with the blue fuzzy steering wheel cover listening to a mix of Christmas music that included the world's deepest bass voice singing "Go Tell It On the Mountain", which I believe Kim said was from a very famous gas station Christmas compilation.

Classes were done, and we were both getting ready to go home and leave our sadly decorated apartments behind for real trees (and real food - as I recall we were living off Chic-Fil-A and Burger King). And Judy Garland's version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" came on as we drove down Front Street through the Christmas lights. We started out singing it, and I think by the end of it, we were both crying for wanting to go home. Don't be fooled by that "merry" in the title - that song is sad. And once again, I find myself trying to muddle through somehow until I can go home to a real tree and real food. And sadly, no Kim to sing me Judy Garland.

4 cat calls:

mendacious said...

having read both posts i can honestly say, ah, highs and lows...

now get me some of that nostalgia and sing me a sweet sad song... but not about anything in a box, bcs that would be wrong.

hat said...

Home. For the Holidays.

penelope said...

I feel compelled to visit that ginormous oak tree after seeing it from MLK recently as well. Maybe next year?

The Judy Garland version of HYAMLC is like, suicidal.

Matt said...

Call me Scrooge, but I covered the lighting of the giant Oak for the Star-News several years back and I was incredibly disappointed at the tree's utter state of decrepitness. It's not a stately tree, at least not anymore. And the fact they use an Oak tree - an Oak tree for a Christmas tree? - is just so wrong. The tree doesn't even hold up the lights because it would break under the weight. They actually run a pole up the middle and strand the lights down.

Oh, anyway. Bah Humbug. I'm probably just in a bad mood because I'm working Friday night, all day Saturday (and when I say all day, I mean 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. at two different jobs) and then Sunday until 4 p.m., all while my family enjoys Christmas up in Wayne County.