Sunday, December 24, 2006

Day-Old Potter

I know Kim already posted the thrilling news that the title of seventh, and last, Harry Potter book has been revealed. But I thought it would be remiss of me not to post Potter news, as it is one of my obsessions. One friend even pointed out to me that I had not been able to post before receiving the news in an email. So here goes.

J.K. Rowling announced Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as a Christmas gift to fans. My problem with the title is that it doesn't inspire the conjecture of the other titles. What was the Sorcer's Stone, we wondered? The Chamber of Secrets? And who was the Prisoner of Azkaban and the Half-Blood Prince? Good or evil? Deathly hallows doesn't give me any questions to ask.

Hallows isn't a word you hear often - I think of All Hallows' Eve. Which made me think of ghosts, but, according to dear old Webster, hallow actually has to do with consecration, sacredness. So, deathly sacredness? Hmmm. Maybe I'm missing the meaning here. Although, we can mince words all we want about hallows. The real question is to whom will it be deathly? Egads!

5 cat calls:

penelope said...

Yeah, I feel like the main question I have is, what's up with the part of speech? Like isn't "hallow" an adjective? The biggest mystery to unlock whether the UK uses hallow as a noun... Or maybe I'm just missing something obvious. Most likely.

ashley said...

I saw on Mugglenet that there's some conjecture that the deathly hallows refers to the Halloween when Harry's parents were killed. So it's like, we're coming back to the beginning. Which would make sense, since we're anticipating book 7 to start with Harry in Godric's Hollow.

mendacious said...

well .... it is the end. what's to guess at after that?

and hallows in british speak is a literal place- besides sacredness can be in a hallowed out place, a small nook or place.

hat said...

I'm not very versed in the HP series (though I love it when I get to see it!), but what is the special Potter relevance for the last book being the seventh book? The number has always had religious relevance (such as the 7 days of creation), so should I pay attention to anything in particular? By the way, how many kids are there in the Weasley family?

ashley said...

There's a big significance to sevens - it's thought to be a magical number. There are seven Weasley children, and Ginny is supposed to be significantly more special because she is the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter. There are other sevens in the book, but I'd have to refresh to know them all.