Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I Am Adult Contemporary Radio

I stayed home from work today to work on the I-Robot software system, whose full functionality still seems to be just out of our grasp. Since I didn't need to factor in time to get my hair coiffed and my clothes ironed, I slept in rather late. And when the alarm went off, it was oddly on the radio. I usually set it to the horrible screeching sound because it's the only thing that will wake me. But this morning, I was woken by the sounds of WIL FM - and in particular "Rock On" by Michael Damian. You may not recall "Rock On" or Michael Damian, as it was the only hit by a veteran of The Young & the Restless back in 1989. But I was a big fan and got the tape in my Easter basket that year. "Rock On" was followed by "Closer to Free" by The Rembrandts, of the "Friends" theme song fame.

And so I continued listening to WIL FM, who played 9 at 9 today from the year 1988. That included
* "Desire" by U2
* "Cherry Bomb" by John (Cougar at the time) Mellencamp
*"Is This Love?" by Whitesnake
* "Shattered Dreams" by Johnny Hates Jazz (which, for the record, I actually remembered and did not have to look up)
*"What's On Your Mind" by Information Society (which I did have to look up)
*"Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison"
* "Roll With It" by Steve Winwood
* "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley
* "One of My Kind" by INXS

Now, I know Meg complained about this station, but I found myself falling in love with WIL a little bit as the morning wore into afternoon with more U2 and Edie Brickel and Pearl Jam's "Betterman." And then I realized...that this is the new adult contemporary. That I am quickly moving into the thirties crowd, that coveted demographic with disposable income that advertisers crave and that whole stations are built around - the kind that play the b-side tracks from the 80s and the vintage rock from the 90s. It's awash with nostalgia with its Toad the Wet Sprocket and Talking Heads and R.E.M. And there are a few of today's hits thrown in there just so you don't feel too old - The Fray and Snow Patrol. But in the end it's "1979" that keeps you there, thinking about how this song reminds you of middle school, high school, college. I guess I am getting old.

Or maybe it's what Penelope blogged about not so long ago, that need to hang on to all the knowns in the music realm. This music is like comfort food - you know all the words and how these songs fit in the framework of your life. Besides, you gotta love a station that puts "Stacey's Mom" in the line up right next to "Beast of Burden."

4 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't "Closer to Free" the Party of Five theme song? Great, now it's in my head. And I'm at the writing center, surrounded by freshmen who already think I'm ancient. Sigh.

ashley said...

I think you're right. The Rembrandts may hold the distinction as the only band whose only two hits were TV show theme songs. Remember how crazy people went for "I'll Be There for You" with the clapping...

penelope said...

I have to confess, I love WIL FM, too. But I always think of Megs calling it a geeky boy radio station, every time I listen. :)

And now Closer to Free is in MY head. Thanks, ladies! But, it does make me remember Charlie, Julia, Bailey, Claudia, and Sarah with great fondness. But not Griffin. I draw the line at Griffin.

Cue said...

"Stacey's Mom" is a quality song. I totally sing along in the car.