Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Uncovered!

Thanks to Susan, I learned first thing this morning that the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows cover art has been released. I'm posting the full unfolded cover for the full dramatic effect.

In the U.S. version, we're clearly looking at the showdown between Harry and Voldemort. But where are they? It appears, as Susan and I discussed, that they are in some sort of coliseum with spectators. And how creepy does Voldemort look? Looks like there's already some damage done to the battlegrounds. There's a lot of tension here - an eerie sky, Voldemort looking like he's attacking from the shadows (is that the veil there?) and Harry looks calm but focused. Very intriguing. If we go by the clues of other cover art, we can assume this is probably the climactic scene. An end scene has been featured on books 2, 3, 5 and 6.


And here's the U.K. version. I posted it because it offers the dust jacket copy - although, don't get excited. It doesn't reveal anything you hadn't already guessed but does confirm that Harry will be at Privet Drive at the beginning of the book (duh) and will be retrieved once again by the Order of the Phoenix. The cover art also features a stag, which leads me to believe Harry's patronus will be invoked once again. The hole that the characters are spilling out of is reminiscent of the passageways in the Chamber of Secrets. And while I though Ron was holding the sword of Gryffindor, it actually (as a very clever Susan pointed out) is a house elf, possibly Dobby. Let's hope it's not K reacher. The U.K. also puts out an "adult" cover, which features the locket of Salazaar Slytherin rumored to be hidden at Grimauld Place.


Although we had all guessed it, these little clues are tantalizing reminders that the 7th book will be a round up of the who's who and what's what of the Potter universe. Susan will confirm that I literally clapped my hands with glee.

12 cat calls:

penelope said...

OMG, I can't wait!!!

I have to say, the American version of Harry is a bit more attractive...

Anonymous said...

It looks like Harry and Voldemort aren't fighting each other but are both focused on something else just outside of the picture. Perhaps they team up.

ashley said...

Mmm, I see what you're saying, Laura. It's interesting too that neither of them have wands. I kind of feel like this has something to do with what's behind the veil in the Department of Mysteries, but I can't decide which side of it I think they are on. If it is behind the veil, perhaps we'll see Sirius and Dumbledore and Harry's parents again...

Anonymous said...

I wish they'd stop teasing us and just give us the book!

I had the same thought as Laura--I didn't really get the impression that they're fighting but that they're both focused on something else.

Why the hell does Harry look 45 years old in the UK version?

Ruby said...

How VERY interesting! I have never really paid much attention to the cover art until after I have read the book (when it all makes sense) but not this time!

What do you think Harry is wearing around his neck?

ashley said...

Good eye, Megan! I suspect it's the locket of Slytherin. Remember how Dumbledore wore the ring in Half-Blood Prince? Wearing the destroyed horcrux must mean something.

penelope said...

Actually, I feel that the UK Harry looks a little like Marc Price, aka Skippy from Family Ties.

ashley said...

Pen, you are so right on! Hermione could almost be Mallory...

Also, just noticed the snake in the crystal ball. Guess that means we'll be graced with the company of the venerable Sybill Trelawney and open our inner-eyes.

Cue said...

Dammit, I am just THIS close to being able to pin-point that colosseum thing, but I haven't picked up Harry in awhile. Isn't there a colosseum in the Ministry of Magic? That place where they put people on trial or something? ... Shoot, cursed memory. This feels familiar but I can't articulate.

Anyway. My guess? A Harry-and-Voldemort duel to the death. It's how it has to be, isn't it?

penelope said...

She could be Mallory! Does that make Ron Michael J. Fox, or Tina Yothers...

Matt said...

I prefer to think of Ron as Nick, Mallory's crazy-haired, leather jacket-wearing, junk art sculpting boyfriend. Or Tina Yothers.

ashley said...

Oooh, Ron as Nick! Yes, Matt, I think you're on to something. Perhaps this will inspire the filmmakers to entice Meredith Baxter-Birney away from whatever Lifetime Movie she's working on at the moment to make a cameo in the movie version.