Thursday, March 01, 2007

Confessions of a Former Theatre Freak

My boss is headed to New York tomorrow for an awards dinner honoring her sister. She mentioned to a coworker (and I overheard with my big, big ears) that she was going to see her first Broadway show on Saturday.

"What show?" I yelled.

"Les Mis," she called back.

"OH MY GOD I HATE YOU!!" I wailed before I could remember the following: she is my boss; I am 27; my intense love of Les Mis is a little embarrassing; my intense love of musical theatre could've remained secret; and she is my boss.

I bounded to her door and proceeded to further incriminate myself. "I looooove Les Mis. When I was in high school, my friends and I used to sit in my backyard and sing the songs. I was Valjean."

Full confession: The summer after my senior year of high school, we (the "we" outside of me shall remain nameless to save them from embarrassment) would reenact the show. As Valjean, I was required to have quite the vocal range (which I lacked). Nonetheless, we zealously proceeded with our productions. We might have recorded it a time or two.

We saw the touring production twice at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta that summer. The first time, I was so excited and emotional that I couldn't get out of my seat to stand for the ovation. And when I went to college, I had an 8 x 10 glossy of this photo on my wall. Colm Wilkinson, a somewhat aged Irish actor who really trademarked the Valjean role on stage. And I also had the color poster. And a key chain.

With my inner freak revealed, I went in whole hog. I looked up the current Broadway cast to see who's performing. And I let my boss know she'll be seeing Jenny Galloway, the Dreamcast's Madame Thenardier.

And now, I may or may not be reprising my role as Jean Valjean in the comfort of my own home.

4 cat calls:

hat said...

I've alwasy loved Eponine -- tragic, tragic deaths and lost loves have always suckered me.

Anonymous said...

I am SO pleading the 5th on this one. ;)

Jennifer Walter said...

I'm questioning your status as a "former" theatre freak. Once a freak always a freak. It's okay to admit. You're among friends...and BCTC alumni :)

ashley said...

You're right, Jenny Ray. There's still an ASD inside me forgetting to call The Glass Menagerie light cue from the vom.

And remember The Winter's Hell? All those chimes and white paint everywhere? Febreeze at the dance concert? Ah, those were the days.