Monday, January 07, 2008

A Conversation on Shoes

I wore these shoes today. My new black patent leather Mary Janes of which I am much enamored. The Goofball came into my office to ask me a question whilst I was sitting with on leg tucked under me, the bottom of my left shoe facing out.

The Goofball: "Those are new shoes. Very few scuff marks on the bottom. Did you get those for Christmas?"

Me: "Indeed I did. This is the first time I've worn them."

The Goofball: "Are they comfortable?"

Me: "Gosh no. They're actually pinching my toes a bit."

The Goofball: "Let me see. Is it because they're pointed toe? Or are they peep toes?" I wordlessly held out my foot for inspection. "Ah," he says. "Round toes. You're just going to have to stretch those out."

He leaves my office, and for a second, I try to think of any other straight man I know who might know these terms...no...there are none. And just for the record, I should not have tried to stretch the toes out by walking ten blocks to the post office and back.

5 cat calls:

jenn said...

Um, yeah, there is no way in hell a straight man would have that conversation.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the shoes! Those are the kind of shoes that are worth the pain.

ashley said...

I know! And he's married with a kid! He also told me during my first week where the good nail salons are. :)

Thank you, thank you - they were so worth it. I felt fabulous.

Ruby said...

Oooh! Those are great! Beauty is pain was the mantra my mom taught me, and those definitely look like beauty and therefore you were definitely in pain!

Should somebody tell the Goofball that he's gay, or do you think he knows?

dennis said...

Dennis thinks patent leather is difficult to stretch,
and Dennis thinks your co-worker has a foot fetish--not an uncommon fetish for straight guys.

ashley said...

Dennis,you could be right. This guy is definitely straight as an arrow.