Sunday, January 13, 2008

Measuring Up: In Praise of Junk in the Trunk

"36-24-36? Yeah, only if she's 5'3"." - Sir Mix-A-Lot, "Baby Got Back"

It goes without saying that as a woman, I'm supposed to be displeased with my body. Whether in some small way - a certain attribute like flabby thighs or crooked nose - or whether with the overall figure, it's the American way for us to hate ourselves just a little (sometimes a lot) for our physical shortcomings.

I've spent most of my life riding that train of thought. I've only ever owned three bikinis, one which I never had the guts to actually wear out on the beach. Neither of the other two would be in my repertoire of items to wear to the beach now. In high school, I mostly dressed like a lumberjack. But then again, it was the era of Grunge. By college, I was slowly easing into wearing clothes that were actually my size instead of a men's large.

These days, I've given up on the perfect body. Achieving ideal proportions and weight require way more work than I want to do - and denial of things I truly enjoy. Like bread. And chocolate. But there's still opportunity for a best case scenario with what I've got. And what I've got is some juice in the caboose. This baby's got back. And I am not ashamed. In fact, when a recent purchase required my measurements in that arena, I was a little bit proud of my bootyliciousness.

And the rest of me too. I am currently a 34-32-40. Remember the 34 is the band size...I'm not posting the cups. I'm not that brave. I have no desire to run, skip and jump my way down to a below-30 waist size. And as for the junk in my trunk? I plan to keep packing. I find my shape sort of glamorous at the moment - old Hollywood, curvaceous, smokin'. The hour has finally arrived for me to like my hourglass. I hope it lasts.

8 cat calls:

Ruby said...

Can I get an Amen? AMEN!

(In addition to your bootyliciousness, I'm gonna throw out a boobieliciousness, too!)

tempe & chris said...

You get an AMEN from me! That's the kind of attitude every woman should have. I agree with you on the whole denial of good things mantra...I'd rather eat the things I want than deny myself them and be cranky :)

mendacious said...

bravo!

next up passport, and topless in spain! woohoo!

penelope said...

AMEN from me over here! That's a fantastic way of thinking. I, for one, am not going to spend this short life fretting over the fact that I love chocolate and must eat a little or a lot every day.

Kurt said...

I refuse to starve myself just so I can look like the guys in the magazines. Or work out or lift weights.

jenn said...

Hells yeah, sistah!

This morning I was at the gym and I saw a woman who was perfectly fit. She was all muscle. And I thought, "I never, ever want to look like her." Seriously. I would never, ever give up the curves.

You are totally just like an old Hollywood glamor girl. And how totally hot is that?

Niki said...

Word. I hate that I'm supposed to hate my body because I'm not a size 0. I love my booty and yours, too!

ashley said...

So much booty love! I can tell I'm preaching to the choir!

As a side note, if I could be as cool as Rita Hayworth, I might be convinced to wear a strapless dress.