Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Tickety Tack

"Some of the designers were excited...but I think prom is horrible. And tacky. And gross." --Christian

Tonight's prom dress challenge brought the designers to that place - the one where they're lost. Where the challenge is so far out of their point of view that they don't know how to reconcile what they usually do with what they've been asked to do. And with the more-than-usual involvement of the models (a.k.a. 17-year-old giggleboxes with very definitive ideas about prom dresses), the intensity of the challenge - and the volume of the workroom - were ratcheted up several notches.

Usually, I agree with a lot of the judges' assessments. But this week? I don't know. I was at sixes and sevens with the judges' decisions, including:

* The censure that Christian got from Nina about his comments regarding his client. Perhaps there was further commentary edited out, but I thought Christian was merely stating that his client was difficult. And she was! Nina's fury about it seemed out of proportion. Maybe I tend to side with the designer's too much though. Remember Angela's mom?

* Auffed Kevin? In light of that atrocity Ricky sent down the runway? Don't get me wrong - I love Ricky for his Andre-esque waterworks, but that dress was drab, dowdy and dismal. The color was a wash and the bunchy fit on the top only made her look broad and lumpy. I agree that Kevin's dress was not the best, but the worst? Ricky's pale insinuation of a dress was much worse. Molly Ringwald could've come up with something better.

* Chris...I know they can't talk about all the dresses, but I thought Chris's dress was pretty promtastic. And I wanted them to talk to his model about how much she liked the dress. Because as much as the other designers imposed themselves on their clients, I thought Chris worked to give her a dress she felt lovely wearing.

* Victorya for the win against Sweet P. I thought Victorya's dress was okay. And I get that Sweet P's dress was a little bit more sophisticated than most 17-year-olds. But it was tasteful and elegant and draped beautifully. You could tell that the girl felt absolutely glamorous wearing it. I didn't think they gave Sweet P. enough credit because that fabric is the kind that shows every flaw, but she fitted it in such a way that it looked stunning. And I couldn't quite see what Victorya's bedazzled bubble-skirted frock trumped that.

I was sorry to see Christian not feeling fierce - he really did suffer terrible on this challenge. I held my breath during the auf moment in desperate hope of one more week of snark and sass. Looks like I get my way.

SNEAK PREVIEW: Who fears from the previews that they'll be making wedding dresses in groups next week???

3 cat calls:

penelope said...

I totally agree that Ricky should gone last night. That dress made the girl look naked, pretty much. So the wrong color for her. I feel like they put Christian in the bottom two to put him in his place a little about being a little more professional? Which might serve him well in the long run. It would have been stupid to let him go, because despite all of that drama, his construction and design skill are fabulous.

Ditto on the Sweet Pea front, and I wish that she had pointed out that she made the top a lot more tame than the client actually asked for. To put Nina in HER place a little. On the whole, another great episode... but my effing DVR cut off before the previews.

ashley said...

Agreed on Christian. In some ways, I think they want him to do well and they knew he needed some humble pie to give him perspective. How much did you love Tim Gunn's pep talk? "Rally!"

(Is it okay if I almost cried when he was in the bottom two, though???)

penelope said...

I would have been sooo disappointed if Christian had gone this soon. And I finally caught the previews. Scary. Would they really be expected to design and make wedding dresses in a short time? Yike. Also looks like a team challenge, right?