Wednesday, January 30, 2008

18th Century Jive: The Sequel

We just don't talk like we used to - or so it would seem from the pulp romance novels. I find myself developing a particular fondness for certain words and phrases. I confess, I'd like to bring a few back into vogue.

Exclamations
* posh
* bosh
* capital

Insults
* wiggy
* prig
* rakehell
* foppish
* doxy
* cad
* chit

Misc.
* frippery
* diamond of the first water

Cursing & Exasperation
* demmit (so much more refined, don't you think?)
* the devil take it
* dash it all
* bloody well

3 cat calls:

Megs said...

My dear, you must simply start reading fanfic. You will find many of those words/phrases, and can enjoy them to your heart's content. hehehe.

ashley said...

I do so enjoy the pulpy romance novels. I might eventually progress to the fan fic. Heck, I might write some under a scandalous pen name.

And I forgot "lud"! It's one of my favorites.

penelope said...

I'd like to resurrect "savvy?" from the pirate lexicon and also bring back "don't care a fig."

My friend and I decided once long ago that my scandalous pen name would be "Penelope Longfellow." I kept Penelope for blogdom, obviously, but was it a cosmic joke that I ended up with this last name? Or just dumb luck. You decide.