Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Sweetness!

When I realized the nature of the challenge on tonight's ep of Project Runway, I had to concur with Christian: "Oh, great. We're going to make sh*t out of candy." I'm always leery of the challenges that involve edibles or flowers or garbage (remember that?). The designers tend to get frustrated about the poor materials and it shows on the runway.

But tonight, the designers totally surprised me. With just five minutes to gather materials from the Hershey's store in Times Square, the designers came up with some pretty scrumptious garments. How brills was that skirt and corset top Jillian made out of Twizzlers? I was so impressed. And Rami's dress looked delicious - that shiny plastic with the paper skirt. So well made. And I concur with the judges that it fit the model impeccably. I give Michael Kors credit for recognizing the restraint that Chris showed - and I give Chris credit for not going totally Macy's Thanksgiving Day with this challenge.

And then there was Elisa...I kind of want to root for her in all her airy-fairyness, but, well, as Christian said, "And the sleeves? They looked like swimmies that you would go swimming with. That dress was a hot mess." I believe Kors referred to the sleeves as silver shower caps. And Heidi Klum called it a sad brown dress. (See how sad her model looks wearing it??) Truly, she wanted to send a deconstructed Gretel down the runway and out walked bad bridesmaid circa 1998.

Sweet Pea? Oh, dear, Sweet Pea. She's always running around in desperation. Flustered and down-to-the-wire. What was she thinking gluing pottery to that dress. Yelch. I'm glad she didn't get auffed, though. I love her soundbytes.

Victorya's ruffled mess, which she deemed an Ice Princess gown...well, I'm not even sure that Tonya Harding would be caught with the lead pipe on the ice in that dress. And the weird walk? How great was Zac Posen's face when the model turned the corner? It was stiff and distracting and didn't help the ruffled dress one bit. What did help was Michael Kors euphoric shout, "She works at Dairy Queen!"

And while I agree that Rami's garment and Jillian's were the front runners, I confess I truly loved Christian's. I love his snark, his sass, his hair and his style.

Also, Ricky didn't cry this week. But don't worry, kids. It appears that his runway meltdown is a-comin'. As predicted.

Auf wiedersehen. I'm out.

4 cat calls:

penelope said...

Such a good episode! And how much do you want to visit the Hershey's store in Times Square? Fun. I loved Christian's dress as well, and he just never fails to amuse me, even if he is a cocky little bastard. I just enjoy people who aren't afraid to speak their mind, ever, and are usually dead-on.

Loved the Twizzler dress, though I'm amazed Jillian pulled it off. Her model rocks.

Fav part of the episode was Kit's mortification at Tim Gunn showing up at the door and seeing her in her pajamas.

Love your analysis. Carry on!

ashley said...

I know - Kit was so distressed that she didn't have a bra on. I confess...I wouldn't want Tim Gunn to see me sans brassiere either.

Anonymous said...

Twizzlers. Come on... she should have won. And extra bonus points to the model for helping "sew!"

The "little bastard" did design a nice dress but alas he is a bastard. and he's really little.

Sweet P should have been eliminated. The judges fully recognized the fact that she took the easy way out but rewarded her with safety. WTF, yea I said it, WTF.

As it happened, I commented on how much Kit's folded-arm-across-the-torso ANNOYED me. Either grab your bra before you answer the door (and brush your teeth in front of a video camera) OR get over it.

Thank goodness for the writer's strike. Otherwise, I would have never discovered this glorious show!

Now, I must watch American Choppers and feel all MANLY again. Sigh.

Jennifer Walter said...

This episode really got my sweet tooth going. I think I gained a few "tv pounds" just watching. mmm...Twizzlers...I'm still impressed by that one.