Thursday, February 15, 2007

Threesdays: Stop Talking

As we all know from Schoolhouse Rocks, three is the magic number. So on Thursdays, I've decided to start sharing three of something. Three thoughts, three likes, three songs I can't get out of my head. I posted a few weeks ago about the words that seem to be floating around the office. And now there are three things I keep hearing myself say that have started to make me want to twitch a little bit every time they come out of my mouth. Let's jump right in, shall we?

1) "Just FYI" - Used to preface a statement I mean to be an ironic announcement. As in, "Just FYI, I will be developing a new protocol for developing protocol." Generally used to mock concepts I find to be blatantly ridiculous.

2) "Hysterical" - Everything I find amusing these days is beyond just funny. It's hysterical. Annoyance comes in not so much in usage as in pronunciation. The way I'm sitting on the "hys" syllable so it comes out sounding like "It's hissssterical." I'm pretty sure I picked this up from my boss.

3) "There is that" - Used in an attempt to get the last word after someone makes a joke that I can't best. When I can't out-joke the joke, I try to use someone else's wit for my own devices. It's like affirming someone's cleverness but secretly declaring my own cleverness. "Yes, you're witty. But I recognized it." There is that.

2 cat calls:

T. said...

I CAN SHARE OZZY LYRICS!

I'm going off the rails on a crazy train.

mendacious said...

i can't stop saying "oh, dear?!"

where the hell did that come from i ask you. so there's that.