Sunday, February 04, 2007

Confessions of a Wayward Marketer

Tonight - as you all know - is the Superbowl. It's the biggest night in football. But perhaps surpassing the importance of the football game these days are the commercials. At $2.6 million per 30 second spot, advertisers are paying a nice chunk of change for the airtime and the buzz.

And you know what? I don't care. I know I ought to care. It's like being in the music industry and not watching the Grammys. It's the night of nights for advertising - the one televised event all year in which there's an equal amount of commentary about the programming and the commercials. I am in marketing and advertising and I have absolutely zero interest in watching advertising's big night. Maybe it's because the hype surrounding it has eclipsed the enjoyment. Or maybe it's because I know every single spot of interest will be available on You Tube about an hour after the game ends. Maybe it's because I'm not at a Superbowl party with chips and beer. Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure I could be stripped of my credentials for this.

4 cat calls:

penelope said...

The commercials sucked. Except for (maybe) the Doritos ones. And of course Career Builder was okay. And the beer. BUT, other than that, it was all car commercials, and oddly, commercials for CBS shows, which... maybe the occasional few, but all night? And even the local commercials thrown in--wha? It seemed like CBS could have made many more millions selling that time to other advertisers.

It was boring. You didn't miss a thing.

Anonymous said...

I agree the commercials sucked. A few decent ones here and there, but nothing that stood out. I did like the one Coke commercial with the guy spreading good cheer, but for the most part, I was sorely disappointed.

But Prince was fun (though his dancers were weird. . . I bet their necks hurt today with all that head thrashing). And of course I'm happy that the Colts won. . . now my stepuncle (a scout for the Colts) gets his ring!

ashley said...

I actually did kind of watch because I was on the phone with Kim and so I sort of had it on in the background. Despite the assertion by everyone in the office that the Budweiser dalmation commercial was so cute, I was so annoyed by it.

I kind of loved the Chevy "Hot in Herre" commercial with all the guys throwing themselves on the car. I guess I'm easy to please.

But then again...there wasn't anything that I thought would take the world by storm.

Matt said...

mfqThe commercials were a tad disappointing, although the first one of the night - the rock/paper/scissors Bud Light commercial, was classic. And I got a chuckle out of the Federal Express commercial where the company built an office on the moon. Anything that ends with a guy getting smoked by a meteor in outer space can't be that bad.