Saturday, February 24, 2007

Job Wanted

Seeking job with the following attributes:
* Great salary (i.e. my beloved Rav4 will not be repossessed; can make rent each month)
* Great benefits (i.e. when I get sick, I can go to the doctor)
* Great boss (i.e. do not get yelled at for things that are not my fault; congratulated on jobs well done; offered criticism with tact and insight)
* Great company (i.e. not advocating the exploitation of children and old people)
* Great hours (i.e. between 9 and 5 most days; not 7 to 7 most days - I like sunlight)

Skills offered to potential employer:
* Excellent with witty repartee, puns, and inappropriate jokes
* Fashionably and endearingly late
* Can drink my weight in coffee
* Highly developed negotiation skills with irrational clients, peevish vendors, and ridiculous coworkers
* Patience...carefully, painfully honed patience
* Will work for food

6 cat calls:

laura said...

it's a shame that all jobs cannot be as cushy as oak hill- with the only "worries" about life would be college-ish! but we grew up didn't we? somehow i'm responsible for two little girls, and another on the way... how did this happen??

Anonymous said...

No doubt there is a perfect match for you out there. Who wouldn't want to add that list of qualities to their office?

Some days I sure wish I had a 9 to 5 job (or something even close to that). But I'm definitely not exploiting anyone, and I have a great boss, and all those other things you listed, so I can't complain. Not to mention that my workplace truly values a good cup of coffee and has a high tolerance for tardiness. So it definitely works for me.

hat said...

I humbly suggest one small addition to your list, Ash: Boss who will travel often, and travel far, far away from the office. I benefit greatly from a boss who happens to always travel away from the office. It's liberating!!!

Cue said...

If you find something like this, let me know. I'm starting to think this sort of job descriptions is, actually, the great american myth.

ashley said...

Me, too, Andrea. I'm thinking that most jobs are closer to The Office and Office Space than we'd like. Maybe I'll at least find a job with a good stapler.

Kim said...

I work in an office very similar to both the Office and Office Space, and I am sad to report that my stapler is not even a Swingline; it is a Stanley Bostitch. Whatever the crap that means.