Sunday, June 03, 2007

Leaving: Part Four - Going Back

The Return Trip: Observations & Experiences

* It is an entirely different trip when driving east first and west second. Either way, it is still a long, long drive.

* Coldstone Creamery's cake batter ice cream is sinfully good.

* Downtown Wilmywood is still there - I saw it, walked its streets, smelled its river.

* There is nothing like the dark theater, Coke Icees, and a good friend on either side to pass a rainy Saturday.

* I do not wish to see the movie Joshua, as the preview nearly made me cry with fear.

* Waitress is so wonderful and funny and heartbreaking that I can't stop thinking about it.

* I did not look at my office, as I know it is no longer mine. I did help myself to a complimentary Diet Coke and Skittles from the conference room table.

* The emergence of K. Lo.'s personality is extraordinarily entertaining, between the use of the Red Robin crayon box as a cell phone and her constant parade of dance moves. Bonus moment was hearing her say "yum" when fed potato soup.

* STGD's porch is a good thing with its ferns and flower boxes and the creak of the porch swing and a beer in hand and Lenny looking for lizards and the breeze and the rain. And us laughing. Always laughing.

* Weirdly, it has not rained here or there since I left. Last night, it poured both places.

* Uninterrupted girl time to discuss hair (cuts, color, and styling tips), fashion, boys, and life in general is very important to the soul.

* Mel's cat Oliver has something urgent to say. I only wish I knew what it was.

* It is a bittersweet reminder how good it is to have friends to share a meal, a movie, a magazine, a moment.

* My Southern accent is baaaack.

* Grace Street is occupied now but mine in my heart.

* Still some ghosts lurking in Wilmywood.

* Thanks to Mel, Penelope, STGD, and The Boss for kind and insightful life advice. (And to Mel for letting me crash...)

* Nothing could stop the tears as the riverfront disappeared in the sideview mirror crossing the bridge out of town.

7 cat calls:

Ruby said...

Beautiful.

penelope said...

A lovely list, a lovely time had this weekend. Miss you already.

I can't stop thinking about Waitress, either! To the point where I might have to see it again. It had such a Chocolat vibe to it, too, only it was...more raw? I just loved it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. . . I'm so glad!

Andria said...

I haven't even heard of the Waitress, but sounds like my kind of movie.

What a wonderful time. I'm glad you were able to go back and have such great moments with friends.

Jennifer Walter said...

I'm so glad you saw the Waitress! I saw it last Tuesday and sat in the theater thinking to myself..."Ashley would love this movie." Listened to your message this morning on the way to work and thought to myself..."I have to tell Ashley to see that movie."
It was a great flick!! Two thumbs way up!!!
As for this past weekend's rental...Catch and Release...not so much.

Kim said...

I think there will always be some ghosts in Wilmington. But I think they're friendly ones, mostly.

ashley said...

Waitress is fanatastic. It just keeps getting better in my mind. Everyone must see it!

And yes...the ghosts are mostly friendly...just a tad on the melancholy side.