Thursday, June 21, 2007

Eight-Legged Freakout

Last night, I had the most vivid dream that my scalp was covered with tiny little black spiders no bigger than the end of your finger. In the dream, I kept putting my hands in my hair and leaning forward to flick the spiders from my head. And then at some point, I realized the spiders were literally coming out of my head, from this bump above my forehead at my hairline. Spiders upon spiders. I started awake and lay very still as chills descended on me from head to toe. So real was the dream that I was afraid to touch my head, and so I tried to ignore the creepy crawling feeling on my skin and go back to sleep. I couldn't shake the sensation of tickling legs for the rest of the morning and even checked my pillowcases to rule out actual spiders.

When dreams are this vivid, I feel like they must mean something - something my brain can't quite work out when I'm awake and thinking and so must consider while I'm asleep. I looked up spiders in several dream dictionaries, and their appearance in dreams can be sinister or an omen of good luck (for, like, getting a job?). One source suggested that spiders represent irrational fears and anxieties, but ones that are more complex, hence their representation by eight-legged creatures. And that they also can signify a feeling of oppression or stagnation. Other sources indicated that spiders are symbolic of the creative spirit, and that they simple indicate that you have a creative itch you need to scratch.

But in truth, the dream felt more like a little arachnid army of anxieties marching around my head followed by the realization that I was the source of the madness. Perhaps it was a combination of things: a laundry list of insecurities and doubts surging to the surface, a niggling sense that I've let my writing lay dormant for too long, and all this heat that has everything slow-roasting in its tracks. Whatever the case, I may sleep with Raid under my pillow tonight.

4 cat calls:

laura said...

that dream sounds AWFUL! i wish you sweet dreams tonight. and no spiders in your bed. (or any bugs for that matter)

Niki said...

um, that dream SUCKS. once i watched an Oprah about dream analysis and the guy said that dream "symbols" are essentially BS. the important part about analyzing your dreams is how you feel in the dream and how you react to things. sounds like a definite anxiety dream to me - lots of things coming at you at once - hopefully you won't have that one again!

mendacious said...

OOF! that's all ach!and eww and what not- and also because it's so concrete and tactile...

ashley said...

It was truly one of the most horrifying dreams I've had in a long,long time. And that place on my head the spiders were coming out of? Ugh. So revolting. I purposefully did not describe it in more detail.