Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Graveyard of June Posts

During the month of June, my dashboard was the place that posts went to die. I either drafted or conceived more posts that never happened than ever before. As we move into the new month, I think that it's only fair that we lay these posts to rest.

Tossing My Cookie

A visit to Deb's lakehouse included a visit to Ike's Sports Bar, a happening little joint in the middle of South Carolina that hosts karaoke on Friday nights. Before my name was called for "Devil Went Down to Georgia," Deb's husband John treated us to a little liquid courage in the form of an oatmeal cookie shot. For the record, it tasted like the candles your grandma burns at Christmas. I performed my little Georgian heart out and spurred a couple of South Carolinian gentlemen to clog through the final verse. And then, as we left, I threw up. On the sidewalk. And then in the bushes - where I remained until STGD came to collect me and noted that I looked like a rape victim who crawled out of the shrubs.

South Georgia
I traveled to south Georgia last week to visit with a new client. A drug and alcohol addiction residential recovery program. It was a profoundly moving day. In the house, these young women gathered around the dining room table to tell us their stories. Incarceration. A lifetime with addicted parents. Broken homes and families. And their amazing comebacks from the brink of disaster. I was humbled. I was moved to tears. I rode back to Atlanta, gazing out the window and thinking of my blessings - both the kind I already had and the ones I acquired that day.

Brangelina
I missed my opportunity to express my thoughts on Brangelina at the Smartini Bar. I'd just like to say for the record that I am equal parts fascinated and repulsed by the Brange. I admire their contributions to making the world a better place - I really do. I mean, they just gave kids in Iraq $1 million. But I also resent the fact that - even when I don't read Perez - I have to know every move they make. I confess, too, that I always feel slightly sorry for Jennifer Anniston - what must she be thinking, with no hit movies in quite awhile and just that endorsement deal for Smart Water? I'm also kind of creeped out by the feeling the Brangelina is trying to start their own eco-friendly, multi-cultural, uber-beautiful super race. In which case, I'm totally screwed.

What's in a Name?
Last Wednesday, I was talking to Justin on the phone, and he had Dillon. "Say hi to Auntie Ashley," he prompted.

"Hi," says Dillon.

"Hey, buddy," I say. "What're you and Daddy doing?"

"Can you say 'Ashley'?" Justin asks.

"Ashhhh-eeee," Dillon says, very clearly.

I get euphoric over the fact that he says my name. He knows me! Except that over the weekend, I test him. "Who am I?" I question.

He looks at me and says, "Sha." Definitively. Clear as a bell. He might've said "Ashley" but my name is "Sha."

Simple Pleasures
Things that make me happy that cost nothing...
* Taking pictures
* Riding in the bed of a pickup truck
* The return of my Southern accent
* Blackberry picking
* Crossword puzzles
* The smell of ozone and wet asphalt during a summer shower

Sex & the Panda
So Eva and I make plans to go to Sex & the City while I'm in town and working at the Atlanta office. She searches out a time that fits with my arrival from the office and her babysitter's 10 p.m. limit. We rush to the theater - sans dinner - and stock up on soft pretzels, popcorn, and chocolate. We find a good seat and watch the previews. Which seem a bit odd - a football movie starring Dennis Quaid. Wall-E. Another sports-themed movie. And fifteen minutes later, the opening credits for Kung-Fu Panda roll onto the screen. For about thirty second, there's total silence and then the theater full of women of all ages erupts like a bunch of magpies. Long story short, the theater goofed. And the new run time? Past the babysitter's curfew. We left, unsexed, uncitied and unhappy.

You were good posts. May you rest in peace.

8 cat calls:

penelope said...

So glad you didn't delete these!

The karaoke story + rape victim analogy made me laugh. Note to self, never, ever order an oatmeal cookie shot.

Dillon saying your name! That's the best.

I have been wondering your thoughts on Brangelina for weeks now.

Please tell me you were able to see S&TC eventually?? Kung Fu Panda, what an insult!

Kurt said...

You can still ride in the bed of a pickup there? That rocks. Do you go to the drive-in?

mendacious said...

aw they were good posts. glad to see them.

i wish people still had pickups in LA that i could drive in the back of. oh wait i do. i must make it happen.maybe when you and pen come to visit.

your workplace always seems mysterious and slightly very official... i marvel at it.

Andria said...

so great to get these glimpses of your brilliance and life without us.

ew, spewing liquid oatmeal cookies. Love STGD, what an amusing observation.

What an incredible experience it must have been to hear those stories. Glad you gained such perspective and appreciation from them.

Hearing your name for the first time in a child's voice is pretty incredible! He'll get there. .and then you'll kind of long for the days when you had an endearing "nickname" he couldn't quite pronounce.

I can't believe the let down you must have experienced with the Snafu Panda incident!

I went through and commented on just about all of the photographs - I just LOVED so many of them. You are so creative and talented and it was such an inspiring and fun game!

Glad you've found your accent again!

jenn said...

Wow, that must have been an amazing experience to visit the recovery center. And how wonderful that Dillon has said your name!

That SUCKS about "S&TC." Are you going to get a chance to see it?

Niki said...

It's so great to have you back! These are great posts (and those were fabulous pictures)!

ashley said...

Thanks, all. It's good to be back in blogland. Perhaps my absence was what was causing my malaise and not the other way around.

I must confess: I have still not seen S&TC; I'm not sure about the legality of the truck rides; I work for the best company in America; and I'm really proud (if I do say so myself) of the photos. :)

Andria said...

I'm not sure about the truckbed (don't think it's really legal - but doesn't stop it from happening) but am pretty sure it is in fact legal to NOT wear a seatbelt in the front of a pickup truck. . something about being left over from farming days.

So sad you still haven't seen S&TC.