Saturday, July 19, 2008

Entrapment & the Waiting Place

In dreams, there are likely scenarios - loss of teeth, flying, falling, showing up to work naked. But in many of my dreams, there are also likely places. These places that I visit are sometimes real life places given a totally different context in the dream state. And sometimes, they are places I have never been except in my subconscious, but I know them. As soon as I see where I am, I have an automatic cue about the tone of the dream and what complexity my mind is trying to unravel.

Hotel Entrapment
: In my dreams - like the one I had last night - I find myself in a hotel. It is an upscale hotel. The facade is a pale blond brick, stately and historic, and the interior is very modern with chrome and glass. It is a total contradiction, I know, but so it is. I have never been to this hotel or any hotel like it; its features are some strange combination of places and things I have seen without really categorizing them. Or perhaps it is entirely conjured during my sleep. I am a guest at the hotel, sometimes willing and sometimes seemingly forced there by an unknown incident. Whichever the case, once I find myself there, I wish to leave.

I am usually pursued by someone during my dream. Not in a classic thriller-film-chase, but in an anxiety-inducing lurking-in-the-shadows way. Although I may never see who is pursuing me, I know their whereabouts, and even though I take steps to divert myself from where they are, I still find myself in the same corridor. Passing the door as quietly as possible, heart hammering. I do not want to make a misstep here. Sometimes I wake up at this moment. Sometimes I escape into another corridor and begin avoiding a new location. But often, I find myself face to face with the one I want to see the least, a hand curled around my wrist, all paths to an exit blocked.

The Pit Stop
: Late last fall, I took a trip to a sort-of nearby town for a day of team-building exercises with my chamber group. On the way there, we stopped at a gas station. It was a nondescript gas station, the kind that dots the two-lane country highways across the state of Georgia. In addition to the usual array of fountain drinks and cappuccino machines, they had a little counter that served up breakfast biscuits and the like. Perhaps it was because we were there for 10 or 15 minutes milling around, and I remember feeling a little listless and ready to get on with the show. Perhaps because it was a time in my life marked with a ubiquitous sense of limbo. Whatever the case, this little gas station has become the waiting place.

In my dreams, I am there and usually wearing a coat (it was bitingly cold that day). All sorts of different people come in and out - sometimes very familiar people and sometimes those acquaintances who lurk on the fringes of your memory. At times, I dream that I am driving down the road and, no matter which direction I'm going, I must stop. Even though I could have a full tank of gas and just eaten, I am always compelled to stop at the waiting place. I never quite know why I'm there, so the dream is fraught with a restless energy, a sense of looking for a sign to tell me what to do next. And at times, I reluctantly give in to the idea that maybe, all I'm there to do is wait.

6 cat calls:

jenn said...

It's wonderful that you can remember and describe your dreams so vividly. I rarely recall my dreams, though I wish I did, because they certainly say so much about where we are at in our lives and what is truly lurking deep down in our thoughts.

penelope said...

A dream analyst would have a field day with these, no? I agree with Jenn that it's cool you can pin them down in writing. I have a frequently recurring dream that takes place in the building I stayed at in Chicago, but it always has several Wonka-style elevators and takes you to these elaborately set up gathering spaces that certainly didn't exist in the real building. I wonder what that means.

When you're at the gas station, do you ever feel compelled to buy a Slim Jim? :)

mendacious said...

i love dreams!!

and waiting sucks. i'm with you. it just suddenly occured to me i was going to be spending 28 days with strangers. what was i THINKING!?

Andria said...

fascinating. The feelings and emotions of dreams are so powerful and it's amazing you can recall and retell them so vividly.

Kurt said...

I used to keep a notebook by the bed and write down my dreams as soon as I woke up - that way you can remember them.

ashley said...

I greatly enjoy my dreams - I find them so entertaining. And telling!