Monday, July 14, 2008

Facing the Negativo

The last couple of weeks, I seem to have fallen prey to The Negativo. Suddenly, my first reaction to everything is negative. Anger, irritation, impatience, anxiety, dread. It's seething just underneath my skin, and it's provoked at the least infraction. And then it's like the worst version of me just jumps down the nearest person's throat. For example,

* The Dirty Film Boys are back, smelling up the common area. Every time I walk to the bathroom, the one closest to the door turns and stares at me. I am SORRY if the click-clack of my heels on the concrete annoys you, but get over it.

* On the way back from J. Island last week, my Garmin lost its ever-loving mind and directed me into the least populated corridors of the state. And when I turned around for the second time that day using the interstate median out of frustration, I promptly found myself sidelined by the state patrol. I had never ever cried on a cop until that day. "Happy belated birthday," he said. "I'm just going to give you warning."

* The Fam is experiencing too much togetherness. Patience is fraying; tempers are flaring. We're all slightly sick of the sight of each other but are quite at a loss how to avoid the suffocating conditions. Anna, though doing remarkably well, just isn't quite ready for abandonment and so we go and we sit together and we try not to kill each other.

* Work has me tense and knotted. I love my job, but right now, it just feels like everything is on level ten. There are too many balls in the air and I'm distracted...by...what, I don't know. By the shift in the office environs because of the Rockstar's impending departure. And the potential replacement's frightening Type-A over-achieving ways.

* I'm totally annoyed by people who do things better than me. How ridiculous is that? But it's like, I want the universe to give me a break, to give me some arena where I'm a winner free and clear. But instead, I'm on the insecurity train and riding shotgun.

* Another wave of grief seems to have washed over us all, and at times, it makes me resent every spark of happiness in the world. I want to tell other people not to smile. Because every time I think we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, it fades into the distance, and all I can hear is the echo of our voices in a long dark cavern that never seems to end.

* I hate waiting. I'm so mad at waiting. Waiting for the next thing. Waiting for it to be the right time to buy a house. Waiting for the time when I'll feel like writing a book. Waiting for friends to blossom out of acquaintances. Waiting for a time when I don't stand in a room full of people and feel like the loneliest person in the world. Waiting for a time when my whole life isn't hijacked by mourning.

* I resent practicality. I want to throw caution to the wind and plan trips and be carefree. I have 80 percent of my vacation left. I have no idea when or how to take it. And sometimes, when I think about it, I just feel more tired trying to think of how to use it. I just sort of want it to go away.

* I worry about us all...all of us with our respective heart conditions. Anna's broken into a million tiny pieces. Dad's grown tired and stressed. Mom's heavy with her worry for us all. And mine empty and lonely and guilty and sad for feeling all that it feels.

8 cat calls:

Kurt said...

Re: vacation. I never took my vacation days at my last job, and when I left, I had 53 days of paid vacation left. All wasted. Don't let this happen to you.

mendacious said...

i agree with kurt. and if taking you away with me to central america at christmas time would work then ... i would. but i understand most normal peoples aversion to being gone for 22 days during the holiday. though i do have friends coming on the 3rd to go rafting... you're totally welcome anytime!

have you thought about buying a box of goodwill plates and breaking them? bcs seriously sometimes smashing things does work... and wearing black, and going goth- just a little bit until your ready to see that godawful ray of sunshine.

jenn said...

Sorry that you are having such a rough time. :( It definitely sounds like you need to use some of that vacation. When I find myself getting more and more negative, it usually means I just need a break and some space to myself. You've been thinking about and taking care of other people for months now, so it's only natural that you are feeling so negative and irritable.

If it would help, I could help you find a little getaway spot. Maybe a little bed and breakfast within driving distance where you can just go for a few days and have some space, read some books, do some writing, and drink some tea? If just the thought of planning something is making you tired, I would be happy to find some nearby spots for you. I love looking at B&Bs (and am pretty good at finding the not ugly ones) and could try to help you find a lovely little spot to relax.

Lately I've been daydreaming about taking a trip to Prince Edward Island. They even have an "Anne itinerary" and you can take some raspberry cordial home. :) Something about it just appeals to me lately. . . I guess just going to back to a part of my life that was less adult (and therefore less complicated) and the idea of being surrounded by beautiful things in a beautiful place. Maybe we should just go. :)

Andria said...

Maybe we should bump up our Smartini retreat and start planning it for this Fall? A good girl's weekend would do wonders?

Anonymous said...

It's such a relief to read many of the same emotions I've been going through on your blog---and said so well.

tempe & chris said...

I second Andria on the idea of a Smartini retreat this fall! Sometimes a change of scenery - even for a few days - can work wonders.

Hang in there.

Jennifer Walter said...

I'm sorry you're in such a funk. I know that "place". I've been in that neighborhood before. My invitation always stands...
I hope you enjoyed watching P. Runway tonight. Maybe a new drama filled season will be a good escape.

penelope said...

Smartini retreat! Let's do it.

Part of me is rooting for you to go away with m as well... because how awesome would that be.