Monday, March 03, 2008

Baby Got Back Pain

To add insult to injury (quite literally), cruel fortune has dealt me another blow. The chronic back pain that I've experienced for years, that seemed to have faded into a dull ache, has reared its head with wincing sharpness. Right at the base of my spine, it feels for all the world like someone has smashed me with a lead pipe.

It started on Saturday, a twinge here and there. But Sunday morning, I was stepping gingerly, and by the post-church walk to the car, I almost took Justin up on his offer to carry me. Every step sent shooting pain right up to my shoulder blades. I was holding my breath and my whole body tensed in an effort to keep me from moving in the wrong direction. The ride home yesterday was excruciating. I had no choice but to drive, having headed to Anna's house straight from the ATL office on Friday.

This morning, I almost couldn't get my socks off. I couldn't bend. I couldn't lift my leg. I went to work with an IcyHot patch the size of my lower torso stuck to the offending area and giving off an offending odor. I walked slowly and carefully today. And when I came home, I sat in the recliner on the heating pad. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to have to break down and call the doctor - even if the last place I want to be is a medical office of any sort. It's either that, or consider going House-style and picking out a cane for myself.

3 cat calls:

jenn said...

Oh, dear! I've been there. I'm glad to hear that you are on the way to the doctor--hope that you are able to move with normalcy soon!

mendacious said...

you take care of yourself woman! and what is the why of such things? do you have a slipped disc or the wabbly woo?

penelope said...

Man. It's the stress, I bet. Once again, I have to recommend the leg contour pillow. Keeps your spine aligned, makes you feel like less of an old lady--I speak from experience on this. I do hope you feel better soon, but if not, you could totally rock a cane. You'd be FIERCE.