Monday, March 03, 2008

Just the Five of Us: The Shape of a Family

On Friday night, from all different directions, we descended on Anna and Ronnie's house. I drove up from midtown after spending the day in the ATL office; Justin trekked from Buckhead. Dad made his way down from the northwestern part of the state. And around 9 o'clock on Friday evening, an anomaly occurred - as cosmically rare as the eclipse or comet tracks in the night sky. It was just the five of us.

Since Anna and Ronnie and Justin and Eva married in the same summer just a month apart six and a half years ago, I don't think we've had a single incident of pentagonal-ness.

Once upon a time, there were only five. Mom and Dad, of course. And then Anna, the oldest, Justin the middle, and me, the caboose. For the longest time, that was the way it was. With designated rooms and places at the table and roles in the family dynamic. We were inseparable -and I grant you, sometimes suffocatingly so - but even still, we were the Smash Family Five. And I treasured those times on family vacations, at the dinner table, in the backyard, when the laughter was riotous, the tears shared and the milestones celebrated together.

But when they married, the fold grew to seven, and the pentagon opened its sides, and we rearranged ourselves into a heptagon. Seven-sided. Shortly thereafter, I moved to Wilmywood, and the opportunities to regroup grew fewer. And the sides of our shape were scattered. And when we came back together, the shape had changed.

For the whole weekend, though, the pentagon reassembled. Eva spent the week in North Carolina keeping her brother while her parents vacationed. And while the circumstances of Ronnie's absence were omnipresent and permeating, the inevitable faltering of every conversation into melancholy silence or even tears, there were golden moments like threads of hope that reminded me how much I love these people. How strong the bonds of blood, so indestructible against the storms outside.

There's a reason that the most impenetrable fortress in this country is the Pentagon. With five sides, nothing can take us down.

9 cat calls:

jenn said...

God, you have such an amazing way of saying things.

There is no doubt that if any family can get through this, if any family can take care of its members with strength and grace, your family can. I feel better just knowing that you are all there for each other.

P.S.--Just reading the name "Beth Nielsen Chapman" is enough to make me tear up; love the new quote.

laura said...

i'm printing this one out for Russ- and one day for our kids to read. praying for your pentagon- as i take care of my own here in TX.

Ruby said...

Wow.

I still need that tissue that was necessary from an earlier post...

Niki said...

this post is so very beautiful.

mendacious said...

you are very lucky to have such a shape.

Tempe said...

What a beautifully written post. Thanks for sharing, Ash.

penelope said...

Another lovely post, I bet your fam would be proud.

Kim said...

This stuff has been blowing me away! Insanely beautiful.

(That's it, I don't even have anything funny to say-- THAT's how good this post is!)

ashley said...

Thanks, friends. I did share this post with Mom and Dad. And Dad asked if he could print it out and carry it with him. *Sniff*

(Disclaimer: I put it in a Word doc - so the blog is still secret, although I'm not sure I care all that much anymore...)