Thursday, March 06, 2008

Fierce!: Part Two

May I ask you to gather round?

I was concerned last week over Tim Gunn's concern over Christian's collection. And when Christian himself became concerned about his work, my heart sank a little. How could my fierce little sprite be lagging in confidence? But, I think it was all about the Bravo editing room having a bit of fun with us, getting us all worked up and fretting over the cohesiveness of Christian's collection.

But he did not disappoint. In fact, none of them disappointed. This finale was by far the strongest of any season. All three of the designers presented amazing work. I didn't feel like there was faltering point in any of the collections - not really a moment when I went, "Ugh! How could they put that on the runway?"

Jillian's collection was very powerful to me. I find the juxtaposition of Jillian's quietness alongside her subtle determination and her masculine/feminine point of view very intriguing. I loved the military inspired coats and pants paired with the more romantic knits. The black knit top with the gold-edged ruffled front was to die for. I actually faltered a bit in my undying love for Christian and sort of loved Jillian's collection. I know Rami's had more detail in a lot of ways, but her attention to fit and femininity and strength outstrip Rami's need to make us all Greek statues.

Rami surprised me because he didn't drape the hell out of everything. I expected a barrage of flowy Grecian-inspired gowns. But he showed restraint and elegance. I agree with Nina Garcia that his taste in color is really off - the pinks and the teals together reminded me of Maurice's and Paris Sport Club and wearing two pairs of socks at one time. Not good. But the dress made out of the antique lace - gasp! Perfection. Sheer perfection! The Violinist at work only wears black - and sometimes red - but she said even she would consider wearing its creamy deliciousness.

And Christian...wee darling Christian did not disappoint me. I know Nina and Tim thought it was overworked and overdesigned, but I loved, loved, loved the ruff collar with the giant black hat. In fact, I thought Christian's hats were fabulous. The fedora/cloche hat the first model had on? I totally want that! And I have to say, the dress with the feathered bodice that melted into the swirls of chiffon...the creams and whites that blended into caramel and sable...was exquisite. I think they purposefully avoided showing that full dress until it came down the runway, and the effect was dramatic. I'm not much for feathers, but I would swear I would wear that dress. So much gorgeousness.

For a moment in the end, I thought they were going to pick Rami. Christian thought so, too, with his wobbling chin and effort to hold back tears. But they picked - and they picked well. Throughout the season, Christian has had the strongest point of view presented in the most consistent - and diverse - work. I think that's the key for me. Although Rami's final collection was more varied in its offerings of separates and evening and Christian's honed in more on the dramatic presentations, I think that's what the collection is supposed to do. Christian has shown throughout the season that he can produce elegant, wearable and salable clothing. But all of that is boiled down from his big, beautiful innovative designs. And of course, his great har.

So, so, so fierce. And yes. I channeled Ricki and cried in delight. Way to make it work!

*****
And just for fun...I'm posting my original predictions from after the first episode (in black) and commentary on those (in green):

Carmen - I like her, but she also has that sort of aggressive Laura-vibe about her. I thought her design last night was interesting even if I didn't love it. Prediction: A strong contender to make it through to the late stages unless overconfidence or bizarre design get in her way.
Carmen was definitely aggressive, and I think she would've made it but she let the menswear challenge totally take her down. I'm not sure she would've made it to the final three.

Chris - A wild card. I liked his dress last night - I thought the purple fabric was gorgeous. He could also teeter toward one of those whose designs never have the wow factor. Prediction: Must wait and see.
Chris was a surprise to me - even in the end. I loved a lot of his work, and I loved him, but I was astounded how he always seemed to gamble in the right direction. I think some of the other designers - like Kit Pistol - had more potential but let challenges get the best of them.

Christian - The New Austin Scarlett. Love him. Love his wacky haircut. Love his sass. Love all of his interviews. And liked his design - didn't love the fabric, but I thought the design was interesting. Prediction: Strong contender for the final three.
Way better than Austin Scarlett. He's fierce. Still love him. Bought the t-shirt.

Elisa - Totally bizarre and over the top. I think she's the new Vincent. And not in a good way. Prediction: Auffed over extreme creative differences with the judges (but great television while she's still around).
Right on, spit mark.

Jack - Beautiful dress. I thought was lovely and wearable. Which may get him into trouble for not establishing a stronger point of view. Prediction: A strong contender, although from the previews, it looks like something horrible will be revealed by him at some point.
Jack would've totally been up in the top three vying against Rami and Jillian if he hadn't gotten ill. But I'm glad he did what he needed to do - and he hasn't ruled out a return for season five!

Jillian - I think Jillian has potential, but for some reason, I can see her being one that has a challenge where she totally flips out and doesn't get it done. Prediction: Auffed in the later part
Jillian definitely flipped out. And she definitely struggled to get things done. I grew to love her understated commentary. And I hope she continues - I loved her clothes and think she has something to contribute to the fashion world.

Kevin - He's trying to be the new Jeffrey/Santino with his elegance-with-an-edge. Didn't love his work last night, but I reserve judgment here. Prediction: Another wait and see.
Right on. I think Kevin way overplayed his punk elegance card.

Kit Pistol - I like Kit Pistol (just because I think that's an awesome name) and I think she has a strong and different POV. I could see her hanging in there into the late game. Prediction: Contender.
I actually liked the dress she made with Ricki, and I thought Ricki got a real steal on that challenge because he purposefully sat back and let Kit take charge - and take the fall. I'm not sure she could've stood up against Jillian and Rami in the late rounds, though.

Marion - I noticed last night that Marion was largely ignored in the storyline, which made me wonder how important he'll be. I felt totally blase about his garment a la Robert last season. Prediction: (Yawn) Auffed early
Right on!

Rami - Fabulous. Beautiful garment. I hope he doesn't get drape-obsessed like Uli did with the billowy dresses. Could be my one sticking point with him. Prediction: Definite contender for top three.
Right on the top three and SO right on the drape obsession. I thought if I saw one more goddess dress, I was going to vomit. His final collection was divine, though. We'll see him again.

Ricky
- Three words: What happened to Andre? Prediction: Auffed, but not before a spectacular meltdown
So true, so true! The montage of him crying in the reunion special was hilarious.

Simone - Boring. Auffed. Reminded me of the first one to go in Season 2, who, sadly, was from Georgia.

Steven - Steven, Steven, Steven. Could be fabulous. Or take a total turn for the worst. I think, if Steven keeps his head together, that he could be a contender. Prediction: Possible maniac, possible fashionista.
I missed Steven's dry humor after his departure, but I can't say that I remember a single one of his designs.

Sweet P - Hmmm. I get a bad feeling about Sweet P - like she's going to annoy me to no end and produce clothes that she really likes and believes in and will justify til she's blue in the face even though we can all tell they're ugly. Like Angela last season? Prediction: Auffed at the halfway.
Sweet P...does the "p" stand for "panic"? She wasn't Angela - she was actually quite lovable but SO indecisive. Oy. Did she ever go with her initial design on something? I did find her elimination quite touching. And, as STGD pointed out, Tim Gunn's intonation on "Sweet P" is a phenomenon unto itself.

Victorya - She definitely got the Kara Saun/Chloe Dao vibe about her. She's very together, less eccentric than the other designers. I'm expecting elegant, chic work from her that I totally love. Prediction: Judges will coo over her consistency. Final three contender.
I was pretty close in my estimation of Victorya. What I did not scene is her tendancy to be the Ice Queen. Wasn't sorry to see her and her arch eyebrow get auffed.

And now that's it's over, carry on, friends.

4 cat calls:

Andria said...

I actually don't get Christian's clothes as much. I liked a lot of them (the hats were pretty awesome, but the shoes?! ack), but they are ALL BLACK! And billowy and ruffled and very similar looks. come on! monotonous. And it was way too much look for me - that feather dress - ugh! I definitely didn't like it. I think if they'd had a different guest judge, it might have been a different story, too, because they definitely all did have very strong collections. But, I agree, I think Christian's consistency throughout carried him over Rami. I LOVED the lace dress, though, that was amazing. . and the detail and weaving and construction, very impressive. I liked that Rami actually had color. I really liked Jillian's feminine looks throughout, but she was oh so indecisive!

Amazing to go back, you have quite the knack for reviews and predictions!

penelope said...

Finally watched it!

I HATED Rami's color palette when he did go there, but literally gasped with the evening wear, particularly the lace dress. Jillian's collection was just fun and adorable, and I agree that by the end of the season, her flat voice just grew on me, I don't even know why. Maybe because it amused me, the way she professed her passion in such a dry way.

And Christian, I do wish he had a tad more color sometimes, but overall, omg! It was everything I thought it should be, and certainly the most cohesive collection of the 3, but stayed fresh with each consecutive look. I was nervous when he was nervous... but ah, what a payoff in the end.

Thanks for the prediction rundown too. So fun. Next up: Top Chef Chicago, yowza!

Niki said...

Ok, I've only seen about half the season due to not having cable and watching mini-marathons when at friends' houses. In my limited experience, I have come to love Rami's "passion" about draping - I know it gets old, but I, for one, dig it.

I haven't seen the finale, but just clicked through slideshows of the final collections. And there must be some serious value in movement, because from what I've seen Christian's collection makes me want to puke. Ugh. And the pictures I've seen don't show the color palette you've been talking about for Rami - it's a more gorgeous turquoise and pizazzy pink than I was expecting. All in all, I wasn't floored by any of them, but definitely favored Rami's over the other two. Christian seems as obsessed with ruffles and diagonal hats/collars as Rami is with draping, but no one has called him on it.

Anyway, that's my non-watching but slide-show viewing two cents, for what it's worth (which may not be much, considering that from what I've seen, I actually really liked Kit Pistol and Victorya's clothes.)

ashley said...

Andi, I cannot believe you hated the feather dress. I though it was so fab! I agree he could have shown us a bit more color - it's like Michael Kors said: the black didn't always show off the amazing detail to its best advantage.

Pen, I kind of want to start talking like Jillian.

Nik, believe me, if you'd watched the whole season in order, you'd be SO SICK of the draping. Especially the last challenge when he had the opportunity to do something really amazing and he did the same. old. thing.

I think what I love best about Christian is that he has these BIG HUGE ideas - like the hats and the collars and the poufy sleeves - that are dramatic and over the top. But he also showed that he can bring those down into something wearable. And all the other two ever showed was wearable...and that's not bad, but I just didn't see the BIG EXCITING design ideas from them.

Plus, I love Christian. He's been part of what's gotten me through the last month.