Sunday, September 02, 2007

En Flambe

As I've mentioned before, my brother Justin is a stellar cook. He earned his associate culinary degree for fun, and now one of his favorite pastimes is cooking with an audience. One of his specialty desserts is flambe - anything that involves a healthy dose of liquor burned off some sort of fruit. When I was there a few weeks ago, it was a heavenly bananas foster. And then last night, it was figs in port and plum and pear in brandy. Cooked, flamed, reduced, and poured over vanilla ice cream.

Though I didn't attribute it in any way to the nearly fatal case of acid indigestion I experienced at their house last time I was there, it was in the lineup of things consumed prior to my belly swelling up like a balloon. This time around, I admit that a nagging bit of worry entered my mind as I shoveled in figs and plums, but I pushed it to the side as being overly cautious.

Two hours later (post-viewing of Disturbia) I regretted not having exercised more caution. Despite my best efforts to overcome the gag reflex, I ended up tossing my flambe. I can't figure out the problem. I've certainly had enough dark liquor to know I'm not allergic, nor am I allergic to any of the fruits nor have I had any inkling of lactose intolerance. But since flambe sends my stomach up in flames, I'll stick to the fire-free desserts from now on.

4 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. . . I guess it's good to know what has made you sick, but no flambe? How sad! :(

Cue said...

The idea of flambe is so appealing... what a bummer!

mendacious said...

that's tragic. though perhaps it was disturbia?

ashley said...

The flambe is truly excellent. Justin often sprinkles cinnamon into the flame which makes little sparks. And it's sooo delicious.

Perhaps Mendacious is right though. Disturbia was sort of tragically bad. Maybe it's what made me ill. Perhaps I should have flambed the DVD?