Tuesday, September 11, 2007

About Me

I know it's just one of those things about having moved to a new place and starting a new job. But I cannot be held responsible for what I say to the next person who prompts me to tell them "about myself." What is there to say to this prompt? Tell me a little bit about yourself. What little bit? What little bit is there that can really say anything about me? I have a cat. I read. I am left handed. The roster of factual information that passes back and forth during this conversation actually says very little about me.

And following is the realization that it's a choose-your-own-adventure. I am in the process of inventing who I am to these people. They don't know who I am, and so I could be anybody. Whoever I am, I am definitely running low on patience.

5 cat calls:

Jennifer Walter said...

I hate the question "What are your hobbies?" (usually found on "getting to know you forms")
I work full time. I'm a graduate student. I have a house, a dog, and a husband to keep up with. And you want me to find time for hobbies?! Sure, I have a hobby. It's called sleep.

ashley said...

I'm with you, Jenny Ray. I mean, even the eye doctor asked me yesterday what I enjoy doing. It's like hostile interrogation at this point.

mendacious said...

perhaps you're a cat burglar or a librarian by day and pole dancer by night... so many options so little time.

i do know that lefty hand people are shifty. i'd totally make a mental note not to trust you. if your cat is black you might as well be a witch. see the things these innocent things say. SO MUCH.

penelope said...

ew, I hate that question. it's so vapid. anything you come up with to say makes you feel like you've put yourself in a little box: dog-lover, book-reader, mfa grad, etc, and a boring little box at that, because the label is so surface. yet if you say something clever with the intention of sounding interesting, it may come out as provocative or weird. it's like people are asking a question about what makes you different and interesting, but the question itself begs a boring and unoriginal response. society needs to work on this shortcoming, seriously.

ashley said...

Ooh, ooh, Mendacious! I'm a lefty with a black cat. Can I please, please, please be a witch?