Thursday, November 09, 2006

WORK*a*holism (noun)

WORK*a*holism (noun): Showing a compulsive need to work hard and/or work long hours. Characterized by symptoms including, but not limited to:

* Appearance of severe blemishes on your face such as you haven't had since finals week in college

* Dark circles under your eyes akin to makeup preferred by Robert Smith of The Cure

* Unexplained nausea when not at work

* Fingernail biting - this may progress into chewing on your cuticles, causing minor bleeding

* Tightness in the chest

* Persistent nagging anxiety

* Constant sense that you are forgetting something

* Miserable headache pressure behind your left eye (see also: icepick)

* Recognition that you should never assume anything you aren't doing is getting done

* Perpetual panic and fear that, despite it all, you are teetering on the edge of termination

4 cat calls:

penelope said...

This post makes me nervous just reading it. :( Yucko. I suggest a dinner of ice cream, popcorn, and wine.

ashley said...

I forgot to mention that I seem to be developing TMJ. In which case the ice cream and wine are DEFINITELY in order.

On the drive home last week, my jaw started hurting so badly I had tears in my eyes. My job IS killing me.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Sounds like you need a vacation. Not an I'm-driving-to-see-relatives vacation or off-to-be-a-bridesmaid vacation, but a real, true, vacation. And since I know traveling stresses you out, I won't suggest getting away. Instead, I suggest checking into a nearby cozy B&B, perhaps with a stack of romance novels and/or romantic comedies, accompanied by the wonderful aforementioned suggestion of an ice cream, popcorn, and wine dinner. Sounds divine.

Really, though, I hope you are able to relax soon and have your jaw (and all other body parts) back to normal! I'm sure all the traveling you've been doing is just adding to your stress, so here's hoping that you have a quiet weekend at home in the near future!

Andria said...

girl! I am sorry you are so stressed and tense! I think Jenn's suggestion is wonderful. Hopefully the SLC trip won't add more stress, but can take your mind off of your recent worries and woes. Unfortunately, since it seems to be work-related, I'm not sure how feasible this wish actually is. We all love you! Stay tough!