Monday, November 06, 2006

Recipe for a $2500 Mistake

Ingredients:
* 1 large, v. important client
* 1 project, ripe beyond deadline
* 3-5 people in supporting roles, vamoosed
* 17 dropped balls
* 2 tired eyes
* 0 people to take the blame

First, take the large important client and whip into a frenzy over the importance of getting this job done ASAP. You now have your project - it's in a delicate state. It requires incomparable precision and balance - one false move and you're finito. Best to let it sit for awhile without touching it. After two days, you will have a project well-past ripe, just on the cusp of rotting. At this crucial point, it is important that all support for the project vanish completely. Now begins the real work. The project is unwieldy, in danger of utter disaster.

Begin adding dropped balls. Apply pressure and gently knead all parties in order to get them to cooperate. Be patient if the project doesn't respond to your liking. Try to ignore the temperature rising well above the comfort level. You may be inclined to ask for assistance, but there will be none. You have almost reached the end - in fact, your project is in to bake. Add the tired eyes - it is important that the eyes simply be too tired to focus on the project.

When the project is finished, take note of the complete screw up right in the centerfold. It will most likely be called to your attention by the 1 large, v. important client. Now it is time to add the final ingredient. 0 people to blame.

Garnish with sole responsibility, a burning sense of incompetence or heavy guilt.

5 cat calls:

penelope said...

Oooo... nightmare. Sounds like a really bad day. Hang in there.

(Excellent posting, however.)

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Whatever this was, it definitely sounds painful. Considering the absence of your coworkers lately, I doubt it was all your fault. Either way, though, I'm sure it sucks. I'll be thinking of you as you try to muddle through it all, and here's hoping that things get better soon!

(And I agree, that was a really great post.)

Andria said...

yikes! sorry your pain makes for great writing and post material. It's in the painful comedy genre and it's almost unbearable. I hope you make it through the inevitable confrontation with the client. don't doubt yourself. mistakes happen. you totally rock!

ashley said...

This week is the professional version of Money Pit - whatever I have touched has turned to crap. It's uncanny how many of my projects have fallen totally to pieces. And I like to think it's an unusual occurence for so many things to slip through my fingers.

I nearly cried in my boss's office today - which I totally hate. But she was very humane and told me not to heap so much blame upon myself. And she suggested that my job appeared to be slowly killing me.

Anonymous said...

IF I WERE YOU, I would blame your boss, kick her in the teeth and go get a margarita. Just a thought!