Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Something's Missing

I am pretty sure I am inches away from getting fired. Okay, not really. But in truth, I cannot concentrate this week. I've lost my ability focus. Like a fog has settled over my brain. Through the haze, I have some sense of what it is I'm supposed to be doing, but then it can't quite remember how to do it. Or I can't muster up the energy to get it done. My to-do list is spiraling out of control, and, as if that weren't enough, a nasty side-effect of this malaise is that it has sapped my patience. I am utterly snappish with everyone.

I've taken to closing the door to my office this week - something I almost never do. The bustle of the office usually entertains me, as I am a victim of what my boss terms FOMS Disease - Fear of Missing Something. But the past few days, I'm missing so much more than what's going on in the office. I'm missing what's going on in my head - the vibrant hum of thoughts running through my mind has come to an abrupt stop. Instead it's filmy and quiet in an unnerving kind of way. And when the quiet is interrupted by a tap on my door or a phone call, I feel irrationally annoyed, like everyone is just too demanding, when really, they're just doing their jobs.

I'm relieved to be taking Friday off for travel. Maybe endless hours of open road will clear out the cobwebs. It's a simple case of lost and found really. I've lost my head. Now I've just got to figure out where to look for it.

5 cat calls:

penelope said...

Is all this malaise, snappishness, FOMS, etc, symptoms of fall? I feel like it really might be. And yet it continues to be my almost-favorite season, second only to spring.

Kim said...

It really COULD be related to the end of daylight savings time. You're always an hour off from the "real" time... I never really thought of it that way, until one of my friends at work today was explaining how her son, who is three, doesn't understand why we would "gain" an hour, and even though it's only five now, he still expects dinner, because he thinks it's six...

Megs said...

I'm foggy and snappish myself this week. Haven't been able to bring myself to do my grading...
I, too, am hoping that one plan-free weekend will do the trick...

ashley said...

Dastardly Daylight Savings Time. Perhaps my clock confusion is contributing to my less-than-lovely state of mind. I'm so looking forward to my time in the car.

mendacious said...

being someone who is allergic to work i recognize the symptoms- i will say it's probably that you need a mind break so i hope you find it- maybe write something??

wait i'm convicting myself. scratch that last comment.