Sunday, November 19, 2006

Some of that Old Time Religion

Since it's Sunday, I thought I'd post some more of the photos I took in Salt Lake City. In case you don't know, Salt Lake City was founded by Mormon pioneers looking for a place to escape persecution. And right at the center of the city is Temple Square, a nice bit of real estate that houses the buildings of the Mormon church.

There is the temple, the center of the Mormon church, that you can only go in if you're Mormon. I actually saw a guy entering through a door in an alcove using a special key. All throughout the square, there are people stationed to presumably answer your questions about the buildings, but in actuality, want an opportunity to evangelize you.

And then there is the assembly hall built from the granite leftover from the building of the temple. This building, you can go in. And we did. Inside we were approached by no less than three people, including two young women who wanted to send us a video about joining the Mormon family. We declined.

I'm not really sure what is so eerie to me about this experience. I grew up in the Baptist church, so I'm no stranger to organized religion. But I think there is an inherent secrecy about the Mormon faith, a way in which it seems you can only know by getting involved what the faith truly means. At any rate, my travelling companion and I stood curiously outside the temple, and then later, outside the store in the mall called Dressed in White where you can buy garments. We did not purchase our souvenirs there.

3 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

One of my good friends here in St. Louis comes from a Mormon family, and I have heard SO many fascinating stories. There is always some interesting tidbit that I am learning. Just recently I learned that some Mormons believe that you are not supposed to drink caffeine, as it is considered a drug. Clearly I was not meant to be Mormon.

Jennifer Walter said...

I've always found other religions very interesting. I was friends with this girl who was Jewish and her brother was Orthodox. He wanted to be a Rabbi.
It may sound weird, but this was my first chance to really talk to someone who was Jewish. I remember asking her all these questions. She was very cool about sharing and even invited me over for the dinner they have on Friday night. (I can't spell the name of it.) I couldn't go because I already had plans, but I wish I had gone.
I've also been to an Eastern Orthodox wedding...another cool experience.

Niki said...

I used to work with a Mormon. She would chastise me for drinking coffee and tell me to have hot chocolate instead (this was in College! what kind of self-respecting undergrad doesn't have coffee after pulling all-nighters?). She did inform me, however, that Coke was ok - per some high holy man drinking it at a speech "settle the debate." This I think is absurd. Tea, coffee, they have anti-oxidant properties. Coke has, well, it used to probably have cocaine, and now just has a bunch of man-made gunk in it. I'm confused. Mormons confuse me.