Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cutting Loose

This weekend held two anomalies: one, I cut my hair, and two, I went to the bar - twice.

The first had to do with nearing a year away from Wilmywood (next Monday) and feeling like my long hair was strangely tied to the hardships of the last twelve months: Booker dying, the panic attacks, the second thoughts, the loneliness, Ronnie's death. About two weeks ago, I decided it was time to cut it. Time to let those inches go - and let the things associated with my longer locks go as well. So yesterday, I went to Corey and told him to cut it - really cut it - and that I trusted him to do what he thought best. The result: a fabulous, fabulous new style. And a slightly refreshed outlook on life. It's amazing what exposing your neck will do for you. Photos soon...

The second - bar trips two nights in a row - had to do with Justin being in town for his MBA class reunion. He and Eva told me I'd spent too many Friday nights watching "What Not to Wear" and that it was time to find something to wear and hit the town. So I did. I spent Friday and Saturday evening in the international company of Justin's friends from grad school: a Portuguese, a German, two Indians, an Israeli, and a couple of Americans for good measure.

And last night, standing in the bar between the German and the Portuguese and trying to explain the phrase "junk in the trunk" while bouncing a little to the bar music, sipping a Cosmo and rocking my new haircut, a night out turned into a step forward - a refreshed look, physically and mentally. A few moments that seemed normal in a hopelessly abnormal time in life. A sense of confidence about where I am and where I'm going, when it was easy to laugh and easy to walk down the street on the way back to the car, and feel that good in my own skin.

7 cat calls:

Ruby said...

That's awesome. Your hair and your trip out, but especially you bouncing a bit and explaining 'junk in the trunk'!

Can't wait to see the new coiff!

Anonymous said...

Get those pictures up!
Glad you had a nice time out on the town, it sounds great, and much needed.

Kurt said...

I need a haircut.

Jennifer Walter said...

Good for you!

ashley said...

It was fun! And it was nice to go out and feel like, "I can do this." Sometimes you think about something so long, you start to wonder if you can do it or just think about it.

tempe & chris said...

Very cool! Post those pics - I want to see!! :)

jenn said...

Haircuts are the best. I had a similar experience as I was leaving Nashville after a tough year. I chopped my hair off, and it really did feel like leaving the past behind.