Sunday, April 13, 2008

Confession: I Am In Love

I have discovered Romance Novel Heaven. Seriously. I stumbled upon this little bookstore that's been around for quite some time in my little hometown. It's lodged between a drycleaners and some other nondescript business. You'd never really take notice of it smack dab in the middle of a brick front strip center adjacent to the neighborhood that cropped up when I was in high school and was where we thought the nouveau riche were taking up residence.

But on the inside...I was blown away. Any bookstore in which the shelves are not only alpha, but alpha in sections with labels like "Paranormal Romance," "Mystery Romance," and the length of one shelf entirely devoted to the various Harlequin series in numerical serial order is my kind of place. I confess, like Augustus Gloop set loose in Willy Wonka's factory, I could've stayed in there all day browsing the titles under "Historical Romance" and the shelves whose labels noted space dedicated to some of my most guiltily favorite authors.

And it gets even better - it's a used bookstore. So, almost like a library, I can read, return and revolve. It's a never-ending supply of smutty romance novels being browsed simultaneously by other slightly smug looking women who are piling one Bachelor Chronicle on top of the other.

Just like most of the roguish heroes in these novels, this discovery is so bad, yet so good.

6 cat calls:

Kurt said...

You are officially old.

Susan said...

Can I come visit?

ashley said...

Sus - I thought of you! I knew you would be just as enraptured as I was! Yes, come visit. We'll bring my CFB tote bag for carrying home our treasures. ;)

mendacious said...

i'm a tad scared for you.

penelope said...

But it's kind of awesome that you've found this shop that is like your own personal candy store. Like when we went to Asheville and hit upon an old map store--J.Lo was in heaven, could have spent days in there, just looking. And I was kind of bored after 10 minutes, but loved that he was so enthralled.

jenn said...

I know exactly the bookstore you are talking of. :) I'm glad that you have found your own little piece of heaven!