Tuesday, December 11, 2007

W00t: The Other Side of the Coin

So, the post following my rant against the literati will be this: the 2007 word of the year is "w00t". With two zeroes. Wha...?? According to Merriam-Webster, this term (double zeros and sometimes a 7 at the end) is used by gamers to indicate an in your face defeat. I'm sorry, but "woot"? I mean, it's more a sound than a word. And somehow, Merriam-Webster talking about the "whimsy" of woot is equivalent the New York Times waxing poetic about the deep emotional reality of Danielle Steele. Not that their runner-ups made me say woot either - conundrum, hypocrite, and quixotic. Oh, or facebook as a verb. Clearly, I'm a word snob.

I vote for fugly. Can I get a w00t?

5 cat calls:

Kim said...

Okay, here's the thing, I am POSITIVE that I invented this word, and that gamers took it and bastardized it. I have been saying Woot for a LONG time, usually with a choo-choo train hand motion to accompany it. But where's my effing recognition? I do NOT care for this!

ashley said...

I also recall you saying woot when you'd had a few libations. This was usually a softly spoken, sighing kind of woot, like, "Woot. I've had enough."

Megs said...

I like fugly as well, but I'm not oppposed to the reign of w00t I usually spell it Whoot! And I say it a lot. I recognize w00t as a form of whoot! But otherwise, I agree with Kim Shable that either she or I invented this term, somewhere around the dawn of time.

Us, or those girls in black pants taking tequila shots.

Kim said...

Maybe we WERE those girls taking tequila shots in black pants!

Kurt said...

w00t!