Sunday, December 09, 2007

Atop the Soapbox: Thoughts on the Literati

"But reading was never dead with the kids. Au contraire, right now it's probably healthier than the adult version, which has to cope with what seems like at least 400 boring and pretentious 'literary novels' each year." --Stephen King in an Entertainment Weekly article about Harry Potter.

The Growler posted a link to the New York Times Notable Book List. And while the Growler feels tremulous excitement reviewing the NYT's who's who, I feel, well, a bit annoyed. Aside from the obvious kudos to the seventh installment of the Potter series (how could they ignore the fastest selling book of all time?), most of the books sound like absolute snoozefests. And perhaps it's me and my narrow window on the world, but I'm not enticed at all to pick up most of these titles. The exception might be Rebecca Barry's Later, at the Bar, but for the most part, the descriptions sound positively...pretentious.

And I know, I know - it's the New York Times book review. What did I expect? But, I guess I wonder: what happened to good stories? Why is the notable list chock full of maudlin tales of Libya in 1979 and another Martin Amis book that recounts the painful tragedies of World War II that sound dry and boring? These could be good stories. But at first glance, it sounds like the authors are trying too hard. Trying to be smart. Trying to break into the literati. Trying to be the kind of book that people get told they should read.

Should read...the only time I want to hear that I should read a book is if it's an amazing story that I should read. That it's so hilarious that I should read it. That it's so unforgettable and I will fall in love with the characters so I should read it. But if you just think it's going to make me smart...just going to be something that will sound good if I say I've read it...well, I'm not interested. Most of the descriptions give little impression of great characters or page-turning, can't-put-it-down, stay-up-late-to-read-it excitement. And isn't that what we all want? To go back to that place when you were ten and trying to read Encyclopedia Brown under the covers with a flashlight?

A certain professor I had in grad school referred to himself as an "immortality queen". He also referred to my writing as a donut: all sweet and delicious on the outside and hollow on the inside - but that's a story for another day. And his point was that writing wasn't worth doing unless you would be remembered for generations.

I guess I'm a little more here-and-now than that. I read to enjoy...to be taken away and to escape. I hope that if I ever write a book that it will be enjoyed by people while I'm still alive. Because, generations from now, I'll be mouldering in the ground somewhere. Maybe that's why I have such mad respect for Stephen King. The literati sort of shun him - he's like the establishment's bastard son - but he knows good story. He knows how to tell a story that engages the reader, that gives them characters that last forever in their minds. And that, my friends, is far greater than any notable designation by the book snobs at the NYT.

I suppose I balk at the idea that books are being written and delineated in this way, gathered up into a tight circle and pushed toward that immortality level. Like those of us reading right now don't even matter.

All of these thoughts, of course, come from a woman with an MFA who hasn't read a "notable" book in about 3 years and devours pulp romance novels. So maybe this really is all about my own insecurity. Still...who is breaking their neck to pick up this one? Knots, by Nuruddin Farah. (Riverhead, $25.95.) After 20 years, a Somali woman returns home to Mogadishu from Canada, intent on reclaiming a family house from a warlord.

Yeah. That's what I thought.

10 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that. All I want from a book is the instant gratification of being happy while I'm reading it and unhappy when I have to put it down (or when I'm finished and I'm not ready for the story to end). A truly great book is one that accomplishes that in the here-and-now and for generations to come. Let those of us who want reading to be enjoyable, even at the expense of erudition, stand together!

Anonymous said...

Ah, so. You force me to provide a response in the form of an SAT question. Thusly:

"Stephen King is to Literature as:
a) Spam is to the Food Pyramid
b) Pabst Blue Ribbon is to Champagne.
c) Ikea is to the Rococo Period
d) The Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice to the BBC version.

From hell's heart I stab at thee.

Or, as Stephen King would say,

"Meow, meow, meow, meow,
meow, meow, meow, meow

meow, meow, meow, meow
meow, meow, meow, meow."

mendacious said...

its hard when we're all reaching for immortality in a temporal medium...

i am so done with the heartstring tragedy wartorn politic BS. just could you maybe put a magical unicorn in there somewhere- that would be great.

Kurt said...

I just read Fresh Air Fiend by Paul Theroux, and it was great. That's all I know.

penelope said...

word! i am with you all the way... although that book about the somali woman does sound like a real winner. for a person in bad need of a nap.

immortality queen, hee. i had forgotten that one.

ashley said...

G - I'm not sure you have enough to go on in your SAT question re Pride & Prejudice. To my recollection, you never made it past the first twenty minutes of either version.

If you want to get all SAT, how about this analogy:
People who only eat at restaurants that serve dandelions doused in olive oil are to food snobs as people who are down on Stephen King and only read notables are to book snobs.

That's right, G. I called you a book snob. In public.

ashley said...

P.S. Mendacious, I second that emotion. Magical unicorns would make me twice as interested in just about anything - even wartorn political BS.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. I was polishing my spats.

Kim said...

Man, I was totally about to write a novelized version of my own attempt to win back my house from a warlord, but it looks like that bitch beat me to it.

ashley said...

Kim, have I told you lately that I love you?