Thursday, December 20, 2007

She is 16 Going on 17

Yesterday, I debated about whether or not to post about the ongoing media maelstrom surrounding the Spears family and its latest announcement that its youngest (and most wholesome) member of the family is pregnant. At 16. But I just can't help myself.

As everyone knows by now, unless you live under a rock, Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant with her 19-year-old boyfriend's baby. A fact she and Mama Spears decided to disclose to the world on the cover of OK!.

All day as the headlines rotated on Yahoo! and the news tidbits appeared on Perez Hilton, I couldn't muster any snark at all about the situation. In fact, it made me almost sick to my stomach. While I don't want to sit here and judge her, I felt weird about seeing her on the cover of a magazine making her teenage pregnancy announcement and somehow making it seem normal?

When I was looking for a photo to post with this, I found the pregnancy story with a comment thread. One girl had written that she was happy for Jamie Lynn and that she thought she seemed responsible and would make a good parent. And I wondered - and it's impossible to really know - if I would've thought anyone would've made a good parent when I was sixteen. And now that I'm older, I know how very silly and stupid you are when you're sixteen. Though STGD pointed out that JLS has lived in the spotlight and probably does have a slightly elevated maturity, it can't be discounted that she still is just 16.

Maybe this is going to be the new norm. Maybe we're going to get all Victorian and go back to settling down before turning into old maids at the ripe old age of 18. Man, I am a spin-ster.

8 cat calls:

Niki said...

This story highly disturbs me, too. I'm also disconcerted about her mother thinking it's a grand idea to put her 16 year old on the cover of a magazine to announce the pregnancy - why can't the Spears family ever just issue a public statement through their reps and ask for privacy?

Unlike you, though, I have been able to muster a little snark. A) I find funny that Mama Spears' parenting book has been delayed due to this (and not because Brit is cuckoo for cocoa puffs) B) JL said something about not being judgmental of teens having sex because it was a "position she put herself in" - and I just couldn't believe Perez or some other blog didn't jump on that pun because it's simply priceless, really (or else I'll always have the sense of humor of a 9th grader)

Cue said...

This frightens me to no end. Apparently, if I ever DO get around to having kids (unlikely), I'm going to have to teach 'em about birth control when they're, like, five. SCARY.

Cue said...

ps: Hello to Miss Spears: BIRTH CONTROL!!!!!!!

the end.

ashley said...

Well, and it's just that these tween stars are so...I dunno...sexualized at an early age. I mean, the Olsen Twins, Lohan, Paris, Nicole Richie (who's also about to be a baby mama). I'm not trying to be a prude but you know, when I was 14, I just didn't go there. I was still happy to be taken to the bowling alley in Mom's minivan...

penelope said...

It's idiotic, the whole thing, and I'm not going to pretend I think otherwise. The magazine is ridiculous. JLS is ridiculous. And yes, she might be a bit sophisticated/jaded before her time, growing up in the limelight, but that does not a good mommy make. Congratulations to her for ending her childhood so early. And this is coming from me, who certainly made some poor decisions at that age. I mean, it's one thing that she's pregnant. It's totally another to glorify it. Then again, the family's got a ton of money to hire a decent nanny or whatever and free the girl from any real responsibility, so maybe the point is moot.

Kim said...

All I know is, thank you, Spears family, for creating work for that undernourished but oh-so-glamorous profession of the au pair! And may I add that I am available.

Hugs and Kisses,
Kim "Leave Britney ALONE!" Oja

Kurt said...

I suppose JLS can do what she wants, but why do we have to hear about it?

mendacious said...

no way. i find the whole thing very depressing. and andrea is right: birthcontrol, morning after- fucking gain some responsibility. it's so UGH. all of it. horrible. and man sanity comes with spinster hood sometimes. i'm jus' sayin. it'd be different if it were her choice and not her being stupid... i mean or less stupid in her choices? i don't know.