Thursday, August 23, 2007

What Dreams May Come

Last night I had a dream. It was the kind that doesn't have any linear structure, so that when you try to tell someone what happened in it, you find yourself describing the scenes of the dream and trying to make a story out of it and finding it impossible. The dream had several threads, the extraneous ones, I won't explore. But in one part, my brother took me from an auditorium or a theater while I protested that I wanted to stay there and see whatever it was we were gathered to see. He told me that I to meet someone important. He took me out to a fence where a man was waiting, and the man turned out to be someone I went to high school with and hadn't thought about for a long, long time. Someone I wasn't even close friends with that I would have no reason to recall. I remembered this part when I woke up, the name still printed on my mind.

Today, I went to a meeting with a client I had never met before. In the course of the conversation, something my coworker said caused him to veer off topic and tell a story about something his fraternity brother was doing. And his fraternity brother was the person from my dream. For a second, it was like my ears were ringing and time stopped for a moment and I could see the name and the flash of the dream and the fence and us talking there and then I popped right back into the moment.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened to me, and it makes me wonder if there is something to clairvoyance. If it's possible, if I can make it happen, or if I just get to open the window every once in awhile on a part of my brain that functions in an entirely different universe.

6 cat calls:

Kim said...

THAT is really creepy! Every time someone tells a story like that, I'm secretly jealous that nothing in my dreams ever comes true. But mostly my dreams are really stupid, like that one that I had when I was little that I was part of a crime-fighting kid squad led by LeVar Burton that had to travel back in time to save Abraham Lincoln.

I really did have that dream. Sadly, it has not yet come to pass.

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I've had a few similar moments, but nothing quite like what you've experienced. It's amazing but also unsettling when something like that happens. It definitely makes you wonder.

(You'll have to e-mail and tell me who the person from high school is because now I'm curious.) :)

Ruby said...

Wow!

Maybe this is where your knack for knowing the sex of babies in utero comes from?!

(I want to know the name of the high school guy too!)

mendacious said...

whatever it is i LOVE it! i hope you keep writing it all down.

ashley said...

M - I'm definitely going to keep writing them down...I know this has happened to me before with a dream, but I can't put my finger on what it was.

Andria said...

cc me on that email, too, you know that was the first thing I wanted to know, too!

I love moments like that, even though they can be unsettling.