Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Yes!

Potter fans, you must read this article from salon.com by Rebecca Traister. It's a brilliant (and right on point) discussion about the Dumbledore revelation and Rowling's other post-Potter pronouncements.

Dumbledore? Gay. J.K. Rowling? Chatty.

What happens when authors like J.K. Rowling can't stop telling their own stories?

By Rebecca Traister

You've probably heard the news by now, since it's been splattered everywhere from the New York Times to Entertainment Weekly to the Associated Press: Albus Dumbledore, the late, great headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was gay.

If you find it curious that this news would make the headline ticker on CNN, you're not crazy, given that Dumbledore is a 150-something wizard who is not, in fact, real. It is also true that the Harry Potter series, in which Dumbledore is a hero, ended with the publication of its final book more than three months ago. How could there be an October surprise about a character whose tale concluded -– supposedly definitively -– in late July? more...

7 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

Loved this. It's funny because when I finished reading the series, I had this insatiable desire to know more about all of the characters, their pasts and futures, etc. Now, like the author of this article, I almost find myself wishing that the revelations would stop. Sometimes it's best to leave a good thing alone and let it speak for itself.

ashley said...

I know! I couldn't put my finger on it, but I wasn't as thrilled with all the unfolding information in the aftermath as I thought I'd be. I kept waiting for the thrill in finding out that Ginny played for the Holyhead Harpies, but really...it wasn't as satisfying as I thought it would be.

daisy said...

Thank you for posting this! I think the writer is dead-on. Either write another book or leave us alone with our imaginations!

Megs said...

agreed with everyone.

penelope said...

:(

I can't open the rest of the article due to cookie issues. I hate cookies. Ironic, coming from the Cookie Monster.

mendacious said...

good article- couldve even been more critical. totally agreed when she said harry wouldve been a DADA teacher and then eventual headmaster- it points to a great flaw in rowlings work- she laid no foundation for where her future or past imagination would take her and it just comes off bad... like really? they join the govt as aurors? really? given how corrupt the system is... agh. etc!

now i can't get the scene of harry naked with dumbledore out of my head and i keep thinking-INAPPROPRIATE! at the end do i really need to be thinking- wow this 116 yr old wizard was a daft dirty old man... who loved young boys. great. thanks jk. sure it's about LOVE. we'll keep telling ourselves that.

Anonymous said...

This was not originally mine, but I love it SO very much:
I think the best response to the Dumbledore-is-gay controversy came from a fake man-on-the street in The Onion the other day. When asked what he thought of the revelation, the fake respondent replied “Wow. I hadn’t heard that. I’ve been really busy lately not caring about the sexual preferences of fictional people.”