Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!

Blogs seem the appropriate place for confessing guilty pleasures. The celebrity gossip sites listed to the right already indicate one of my guilty pleasures. And I feel guilty both because of the insignificance of the information (i.e. where Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minillo were last spotted) and because of the incriminating evidence that I'm not spending my time in more productive ways (i.e. writing the Great American Novel or writing letters to politicians about the state of the world). But nonetheless, there are the undeniable little joys in life we take in while in our pajamas, safe in our little apartments or when we think no one is looking (or won't notice, like that the cover of Time has been carefully wrapped around an US Weekly). Unfortunatley for J., he has to endure some of those embarassing little pleasures - like my viewing of the new Justin Timberlake video for "Sexy Back" on YouTube. Check it out! Oh, come on, you know you like it, too!!

Other guilty pleasures: trashy romance novels (with titles like Guilty Pleasures), country-style buffets (thanks for the Casey's recommendation, Pen!), sleeping ridiculously late on Saturday mornings, my love of Disney World, Hallmark movies, movies starring Amanda Bynes, and maybe, possibly, watching the Concert for America while drinking Arbor Mist.

Anyone else needing to confess a guilty pleasure? Of the PG-13 nature, please. People might be reading at work while pretending to review a very important memo.

7 cat calls:

T. said...

I would like to confess that I like women.

Andria said...

I love my trashy romance novels, too! Especially during the summer. I tend to find an author I like and read everything -- I went through Kathleen Woodiwiss and most recently Jennifer Cruisie.

Anonymous said...

Probably my biggest guilty pleasure is my love of shows typically marketed to 15-year-olds. I watch "American Idol" and "So You Think You Can Dance" obsessively (I even tape them if I'm going to miss them). I've also had a close three-year relationship with "The OC," though it's gotten so ridiculous that I'm not sure I'm going to continue watching next season.

My other guilty pleasure is the music of Michael Jackson. The Thriller album? Cool. His other albums? Not cool. And yet I still find myself pulling out Bad or Dangerous every once in a while (particularly if I feel like dancing). I even frightened myself a week or so ago by singing along to the "Free Willy" theme song. Yikes!

ashley said...

Ooooh, Andi, we'll have to trade favorite trashy romance novel favs. I recommend Julie Garwood novels. She's great. I'll have to check out Jennifer Cruisie.

Niki said...

because i am among friends, i will admit that i think the paris hilton single is catchy and sort of likable. that's as far out as i'm stepping, because she is an atrocious human being and in all other respects i loathe her.

penelope said...

Casey's, Casey's, Casey's!

I have too many guilty pleasures to count. Most of them, though, I don't feel guilty at all about--which is likely a bigger problem.

ashley said...

I don't feel guilty enough about any of them to STOP doing them.