Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Great Balls of Fire

According to the official website, the Atomic Fireball was invented in 1954 by Nello Ferrara, son of Salvatore Ferrara, founder of Ferrara Pan candies. (Lemonheads! Cherryheads! Boston Baked Beans!) The Atomic Fireball starts as a single grain of sugar that is "panned" over a two week period until it is the right size, then flavored, colored and packaged. About 15 million are eaten each week worldwide. And thanks to the cravings of the pregnant lady in the office, who went to four stores and bought five pounds, I'm eating about 10 percent of those. Seriously. I'm pretty sure I'm working toward an atomic hole in my stomach.

4 cat calls:

Kim said...

Ever since a bad incident with a bottle of Aftershock (or was it Avalanche?), I have been completely and totally unable to eat anything even remotely hot-cinnamon flavored, even gum. It's sad, really.

But Lemonheads, that's something I can get behind!

Also, I just wanted to let you know that, per our conversation, I could not help myself and blogged three times IN A ROW tonight. I could not restrain myself...

ashley said...

No restraint! If you can't be additcted to Atomic Fireballs, I say be a blog-aholic!!

Anonymous said...

I also had issues with hot cinnamon-flavored items for years (though I've since recovered, for the most part). In third grade, I decided to take an entire bag of Red Hots to school with me. I ate the entire bag. When I got home from school, I promptly threw up red all over the beige carpet in my house. My mother had to barricade the hallway and spend forever cleaning it up. And apparently (my mother told me this recently), this was all right before my birthday party. I'm sure it was one of those moments where my mom was so delighted that she had children.

ashley said...

You should revisit. Serious. These are ball of fiery sugary goodness. And it's very handy at work when you need a break to walk from your office to the reception area where the Atomic Fireballs live.