Sunday, November 02, 2008

One Date, Under God

On Friday night, I went out for drinks with a guy. Let's call him Mississippi. I've known Mississippi for more than a year, but it seems that all that time, he's been harboring the hope of going out on a date with me. It took a lot of back and forth and canceled plans, but we finally made it out to a bar post-work on Friday.

I had a nice glass of pinot grigio, and he was working on a Makers and ginger. We talked about mutual friends, about the happening of life. And then we started talking about the election. It's kind of hard not to - the elections, the local ones at least, indirectly affect his job, so it's to be expected that he'd want to chat about the tickets.

But then we headed out on the patio for Mississippi to smoke. Another little red flag waving in the wind. And then suddenly, a few puffs in, and he's talking about religion and how people who believe in God are rather silly. "If it goes well, it's a miracle. And if doesn't, it's a curse." That's followed by an in-depth description of the utter ridiculousness of believing in God. And then he said, "I'm going to come right out and say it - I'm pretty much an atheist."

Silence.

"Um, yeah," I laughed that Nervous Laugh in Response to Weird Situations. "I'm...not."

And so, as Daisy says, it always comes back to Jesus.

6 cat calls:

penelope said...

Oh dear. Well at least he laid it out on the table straight-away. Religion AND politics on a first date...maybe make for a good *last* date, no?

laura said...

better to know this on a first date. even if it makes it also the last.

Andria said...

that's intense!

Did I miss something. .where's The Professor?

ashley said...

Well, The Professor went to Syracuse.

And, I'm keeping my options open. :)

Andria said...

aahh. Freakazoid.

I saw the concert was still on, so I was holding out hope. But, I noticed his label didn't appear for the recent Coldplay post. *sigh.

Andria said...

PS And Good for you!!