Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cannonball

During the very long conversation between me and The Professor, I tried to articulate the impact of the last nine months. I spoke about it in the collective - this is what happened to us - or relative to Anna - this is what happened to her. Somewhere in my ramblings, he interrupted me. "But what about you? You lost someone, too, right?"

And as odd as it sounds, the way it seems like that permeates everything I do, somewhere along the way stopped thinking of it as something that happened to me. Me, singular. I stopped acknowledging that Ronnie's death caused a grief that was all my own. Even though he was Anna's husband, even though we have carried each other through as a family, there is a place where I stand alone with reality. And it felt like a cannonball ripped through my chest.

Like a stubborn child, I've been pushing and pushing and pushing against the knowledge of what happened to me, trying to pretend that it was outside of me. That it happened to Anna. At some point, I tried to cut grief off at the knees. I staunched the wound by accepting the truth of the matter and soldiered on - and yet, somehow I was still bleeding.

It wasn't really The Professor's fault - this sharp reminder of death and absence. But I couldn't seem to stop the few tears that trickled down my face, try as I might. I struggled against them; I didn't want him to see me cry. And why not? I usually cry without embarrassment or hesitation if I'm so moved. But this was different. Because the pain came from a place that I knew he couldn't understand. Suddenly I realized that The Professor had the misfortune of being the first person who's come into my life after Ronnie's death...the first person who has tried to get close to me since then. I didn't know until that moment how very changed I am by that grave reservoir of sadness. Like a physical mark, there's a scar inside me. It's made me different from who I was before; it's an ever-present tint to the world.

I'm not suggesting that I'm set apart from humanity now because of this tragedy; this was merely the first awareness of it. The first recognition that the emotional injury is still there - there's still recovery to be done, time and space required to lighten that tint, and heal that ragged, raw edge where the cannonball passed through.

5 cat calls:

penelope said...

Sigh. That's some lovely writing, though.

Andria said...

When I read the title, I was thinking it meant you were jumping in with The Professor (yelling, "Cannonball!!") and taking the leap to work things out.

Sorry it was such a gruesome reflection of your continued personal pain and suffering. I'm sure that was an odd realization to have about The Proff being the first person since. . .

Jessica said...

beautiful writing.

on a separate note, i came here today b/c I don't have your email and i wanted to let you and kim know that martha's burned down last night. :(

very sad.

ashley said...

It's true, Jess. Very sad but true. Looks like the whole thing was engulfed in flames. If you're on Facebook, go to Kim's page for a Martha's photo retrospective.

Jennifer Walter said...

Oh my gosh...for a second I thought "Martha's" was Oak Hill. Heart attack!