Monday, November 24, 2008

Gratitude: Part II - Calm

"I just got lost. Every river that I tried to cross. Ever door I ever tried was locked. Oh, I'm just waiting till the shine wears off." --Coldplay, "Lost!"

I was a stranger in my own mind, divided between the thoughts that made sense and the thoughts that interfered with all reason and rationale. The interlopers stung me, numbed the parts of my brain I needed and activated other parts so dark and murky that I was lost.

But I have once again befriended reason and become acquainted with rationale. Those parts of my brain that slumbered have shaken off their lethargy and began to glow again. There is light; there is hope.

Beyond just feeling better, I am filled with calm. This past week, I was in a situation that should have had me shaking in my shoes, but instead, I felt utterly peaceful and unmoved. As though I had reached a different mental plateau, one from which it was easy to look down and see the insignificance of what was below and look ahead and see all that was before me and embrace it. Rather than falling off a cliff, I am reaching for higher ground with full confidence that my feet will find the right footing.

Rather than pleading for the storm to be calmed, I am the calm in the storm.

2 cat calls:

penelope said...

Nice. Very empowering. :)

jenn said...

What a nice change and what a wonderful feeling that must be!