Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gratitude: Part IV - Life & Death

This year, death shredded our lives into tiny pieces. Death, when it happens so close to you, when you touch it with your very hand, causes a fracture. And ironically, it's this fault line created by death that defines the life that goes on. For us, there is only before Ronnie died and after. Soon, we will mark a year since his passing, one layer of bedrock laid. And shortly after that, we'll welcome a new life into our family. But even as new life joins us, there's no way to erase the strata of pain, sorrow, loss and absence that have fossilized since his death.

But there is a way to see that alongside death, there are signs of life worth noting. There is the way the family banded together and is stronger for it, from the strength that comes from carrying one another through this. There is friendship - the arms reaching out from near and far to carry me through this when I needed more than I even knew. From afar, through emails and phone calls and blog comments and cards and prayers, my friends reached out to me and staunched the bleeding. There is humanity - the unbelievable generosity of the human spirit...the kindness that arises from tragedy. The unification of strangers by the realities of the human condition - death is something we all face. I'll never forget the 14-year-old boy, a son of one of the lunchroom workers at Anna and Ronnie's school, who came to the visitation and stood in line with his mother in his shirt and tie and called me "m'am" and told me he'd like to give me a hug because I looked like I needed one. And that's the kind of thing - no matter how painful death is - that makes this life one to be grateful for.

3 cat calls:

penelope said...

Man... you just made me cry a little.

Tay's Mom said...

That story about the little boy just melted my heart. There's something about the innocence and purity of a child's compasion that can be so healing. A hug from Taylor can make even my darkest hour seem partly sunny. Love it.

jenn said...

Wow. It's so true, too. And that story of the boy hugging you is just beautiful.