Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Half-Birthday Wishes

Today is my half-birthday. Tomorrow, this moon child officially tips out of her twenties toward her thirties. Aside from generally wondering how I got here so fast, I'm trying to decide whether or not to panic about the 30 threshold. Not wanting to be 30 would indicate that I, in some way, would rather hang on to my twenties. Upon a little reflection, I see the past decade for what it is: a learning curve that was rather steep at some points. It's a curve I think I'm ready to see plateau to a new horizon. I look back on a lot of time spent puzzling out who and where I wanted to be, muddling through the initial throes of adult life and dallying with being different versions of me. And with just six months left, I'm feeling rather like maybe, just maybe, I have finally wrestled the demons. Like David, I have fought an exhausting battle through a long night only to come face to face with God in the morning. And now, I am at peace.

So on this half birthday, I have a few wishes. First, I want to spend a little time sending off my twenties...perhaps some reflective blog posts are in the near future. Secondly, I want to avoid dreading the 30 threshold. I'm not - in many ways - where I thought I would be by now. But I'm starting to accept that maybe things beyond my imagination will make my life so much more than my small-minded visions. And lastly, I want to celebrate. My birthday has been an overlooked and under-lauded event for some time now. I don't recall most of my birthdays, and the last time I had a party, there were roller skates involved. So please join me as I say goodbye and wave hello and dream up the proper fanfare for a lady at the ripe old age of 30 - we'll consider it an addendum to my resolutions. Suggestions welcome.

Happy Halvsies to Me.

4 cat calls:

Andria said...

Great approach.

I've only got a mere 5 days! egads!!!

I, too, wanted to actually let the focus be on me and have a party. Somehow, being surrounded by friends seemed to make it more bearable. Less lonely and traumatizing and depressing.

penelope said...

Happy Half B-day!

I like being 30. The twenties are like, so last year. Plus, you look back on all the dumb things you did and be like, "Well, I was in my TWENTIES." As if you are so much wiser now. Which you will feel, somehow.

I'm thinking a big b-day party bash, inviting your friends from all over the country (ahem) with formal invitations. Ashley-palooza! Invite John Mayer as well.

Kurt said...

Good Lord you are young!

jenn said...

I'm actually really excited about turning 30 (though I still have a few months to go). It just feels like it's time to leave my 20s behind, and embracing it certainly sounds better than dreading it.

A big birthday bash sounds fabulous. I'm also hoping to do it up big for my 30th, though it's always so hard with friends hundreds of miles away (sigh). One way or another, we'll definitely celebrate our big 3-0s!