Monday, January 19, 2009

I Have a Dream


Almost 50 years ago, Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his famous "I Have a Dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. Almost six months ago, I started to dream about starting a volunteer group in the ATown for me and other singletons as a way to make friends and do something productive, make a difference. And today, my dream became a realization...so it was on a playground and not the Lincoln Memorial, but, all the same...

It's fairly lofty to compare my small town volunteer group to one of the greatest visionaries of the modern age, but I like to think that Dr. King would've been proud today. I hope he would've been proud of the group that spent the morning at an elementary school clearing a nature trail of debris so that the outdoor classroom teacher can use the space. I hope he would've been proud of the group that worked together for three hours on the service project in his honor. I hope he would've been proud of the group that included men and women, a myriad of ethnicities, and a hodge-podge of religions. I hope he would've been proud that we all labored in the cold, smiling and laughing, because the selflessness of it felt so good.

I hope he would've been proud that I had a dream that shared some of the same visions he had.

I hope he would've been proud. I like to think so.

5 cat calls:

Jennifer Walter said...

Wow! It looks like it was a great turnout. I know I'm very proud of you and your dream.

jenn said...

So proud of you for this! I'm glad it went so well and that you feel so great about it.

Kurt said...

Ditto.

Andria said...

Quattro (since I'm the 4th to agree?)

What a great idea and so glad it turned out so successfully. I want more details on how you did it, how often you do things, etc. Very exciting! Way to go!

my word verification: saywori
no thanks!

Kate said...

Love this. Love the blog. :) As always you make me smile. :)