Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lazy Sunday

This morning, Mom made an executive decision: we'd all had enough.

Instead of getting up at the regular time for church on Sunday, she got up, let the Ranger cat out the door and went back to bed. I finally cracked an eyelid around 10 and ambled down the hall. Mom was still in her pajamas. Dad had just thrown on a shirt to go downstairs. I could hear the coffeepot downstairs was issuing the gurgles of its first round of percolation.

We all sat around drinking coffee in our PJs until almost noon, when we realized we were hungry. We had eggs, grits, toast and fresh sliced tomatoes. I indulged in a third cup of coffee.

I took a long, hot shower. I let my hair mostly air dry. I put on a cami-tank top and shorts. I read a book. About 2 o'clock, I fell asleep again on the couch in the living room.

Dad fell asleep watching today's NASCAR race. When I woke up, Mom was back in bed reading a book.

The phone didn't ring. We talked in snatches, but it was mostly quiet. Calm. Serene.

We had tomato sandwiches for dinner. And then retreated to our respective druthers - books and computer games. Catching up on emails.

And the sun fell below the horizon and night stole quietly across the lawn. And for the first time in weeks, I felt still inside. Instead of droning bees stinging every corner of my mind, it was whisper-quiet.

Even though the weekend is over, the Sunday Dread seems to be held at bay by - of all things - nothingness.

5 cat calls:

jenn said...

So glad that you and your parents finally had a lazy day! It really can make all the difference sometimes.

penelope said...

I enjoy a good nothingness. Good for y'all.

Andria said...

hoorah for a peaceful quiet and not a ringing silence. The joys of just being. without pressures or commitments, but without being completely alone. Soaking in the comfortable presence of those you love most and who love you for who you are just as you are without having to do or say anything.

Kim said...

We had pretty much the exact same weekend, and it was total bliss. I think that nothingness is vastly underrated.

Tempe said...

That sounds like a perfect day. Good for y'all for embracing it and getting so much out of doing just a little.