Wednesday, August 26, 2009

That 70s House

When it comes to house hunting, I have mastered internet research. I know how to control-click the multiple areas in which I'm searching, select the interior and exterior features crucial to my abode and sort the views by price. I know what sites will show the tax assessment on all the surrounding properties and which sites have pictures. Unfortunately, there's only so far you can surf in the pursuit of a domicile.

Nonetheless, I probably would've continued my e-hunt from here to eternity if The Barrister hadn't badgered me (just a little bit) to make an appointment to see the house. When I say "the house," it's the one I look at every time I search. Just to scroll through the 10 available photos again and see if any updates have been added to the listing criteria or (fingers crossed) the price has been dropped. I know when it was built (75) and its exact square footage (1798). But finally, on Sunday, I e-mailed the listing realtor and asked to see the inside.

On Monday at 6, The Barrister and I drove over to The House for my first showing appointment as a potential homebuyer. Here's a recap of the good, the bad and the ugly:

The Good
- A quiet, centrally located neighborhood where I think I would feel safe
- New bamboo hardwoods in the living room and kitchen
- All new cabinets in the kitchen and granite countertops
- Appliances -including the refrigerator, washer and dryer - are included in the purchase price
- The living room is a glorious sunny oasis bordered on two sides by windows
- Hilarious "Wild and Crazy Guy"-esque wet bar behind louvered doors in the living room
- A cavernous garage
- Not one but two (two!) walk-in closets in the master bedroom

The Bad
- In the backyard, it's a bit hard to distinguish between maintained and unmaintained landscaping
- The roof is 20 years old
- Windows in the bedrooms are crank-handled windows which my dad swears could be the bane of my existence
- A friend of mine at work warned me that squirrels will eat the cedar exterior
- As The Barrister noted, there's not a good location for the television or the litter box (both essentials)

The Ugly
- Beige carpet in the hallway, master bedroom and first guest room, which The Barrister found revolting
- Atrocious burnt orange-brown carpet in the second guest room that reminded me of a few unfortunate diaper changes
- The unspeakably hideous guest bathroom - a combination of pale lime green tiles, terra cotta paint and a (gasp!) palm tree wallpaper border. It was a Boca-gyptian look of sorts.

I definitely could see myself in this house. I was mentally plotting paint colors and furniture placement as we walked through the rooms. But I don't want to get overly excited and make an offer before I've seen something else. Which means - unfortunately for The Barrister - a return to the dubbya-dubbya-dubbya search for another house worthy of the hunt.

5 cat calls:

Kurt said...

If I ever go house hunting, I'll only have to decide between a single wide and a double wide.

Andria said...

yay, exciting! Ok, my tips for house hunting (are eerily similar to wedding dress shopping):
(1)take pictures (it's amazing how they will blur together after so many) and
(2)try lots on; you never know what you are going to like until you go in/see it on you/you in the space. Even some of the styles you don't think you will like, you should still visit. Have the Realtor set up a couple based on his/her findings and your requirements and just go see them. If nothing else, it confirms what you thought you already knew. ;)

penelope said...

I feel like I'm watching a really good episode of House Hunters here. I'm liking the potential with this option. However, we're going to need at least 2 other solid options so we can all guess Which One Did Ashley Choose? Was it "That 70s house?" or...

jenn said...

Hooray on the house hunt! Even if this doesn't turn out to be "the one," at least you've gotten the ball rolling. I can definitely see a lot of ways in which this house would be right for you, but I'm also looking forward to seeing what else you find. Keep us posted!

Tempe said...

yay for getting started on the hunt! keep us updated - the first place actually sounds great :)