Thursday, February 14, 2008

Some Thing Never Change

I'm in the shower and Mom yells, "Stick your head out!"

So I look around the curtain and she's standing there in that sort of how-do-I-look pose. She's wearing a cocoa colored empire waist shirt with pintucks around the yolk and a long olive green quilted jacket. I screw up my face. "It's all...too long."

She departs and I continue soaping and sudsing. "I'm back," she calls. I stick my head out. "What if I tucked it in?"

"Mmm," I say, eyeing it. "That's better." She bustles off to get her coat, and I carry on. Minutes pass.

"One more time," she calls.

I'm standing on one leg, razor handle clamped in my teeth, and I pull the curtain aside. The pintucked top is tucked in, khakis belted with brown leather and she's thrown a soft denim jacket with a mandarin collar and oversized buttons over it. "Perfect," I mumble around plastic.

"Thanks," she calls, already scooting down the hall. "I thought I might have to go to work naked just because I couldn't find anything to wear."

I finish showering, hoping that when I'm 63, I'm still spunky enough to discard four outfits to get it right.

5 cat calls:

jenn said...

Once again, I must proclaim that your mom is one of the most incredible, lovable people I have ever met. Moms rock.

mendacious said...

that is awesome.

Ruby said...

Hell yeah, Ashley's mom!

Andria said...

So, the deabte never ends, huh? We'll always be battling the "What to wear" question. Kudos to your mom for still fighting it and not just giving up.

You have such a magical way of telling a story -- so descriptive and enthralling. I'm so amazed by how much detail you observe and absorb even when distracted and naked yourself! ;)

Jennifer Walter said...

I just love your momma....and your post.