Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Spinning Plates

Work is going really well. I am two weeks away from the six-month mark. I have officially taken over the leadership role on two major accounts and am in transition on a third. I'm a second on one of the firm's most volatile accounts (The Client Who Shall Not Be Named), and I've been tapped to work on the creative concept development for a new client. The Big Boss stopped me in the Atlanta office the other day to personally applaud my work. People hug me when I arrive in Atlanta; the office banter is getting easier. And so rises the "Hallelujah" chorus to a grand crescendo...and then...

And then I realize that I'm working late a lot. When I'm not working, I'm thinking about work. My email is woefully neglected. I forget to return phone calls or else can't muster the energy for a real conversation. Yesterday, STGD suggested I post a photo of a cobweb on the blog. I was excited about Swing State and yet, I haven't worked on making it what I wanted it to be. I just...ran out of gas. And writing beyond that? Forget about it.

The money I've been saving for the Elusive House Purchase in the Nonspecific Future is sitting in my checking account - my non-interest bearing checking account - because I cannot wrap my brain around putting a chunk of it into the savings account that I set up months ago.

And while I continue to raise my hand for all sorts of charitable causes (an extension of work in many ways) my social life hasn't seen considerable growth in the months since my job began.

But this isn't a post about how I need to work less. Or even, really, how work is getting in the way of life. I actually enjoy what I do. I like my job. So what gives?

The delicate balance between applying enough force to maintain momentum and enjoying the spin is escaping me. Instead, I've got one plate in my grip, spinning it for all I'm worth while the other plates crash to the ground in a heap of fragments: unanswered emails, stacks of correspondence, phone numbers long since dialed, friends unmade. And on that one sharp point, dancing in a wobbling elliptical, is the dish in which I've placed my hope. But if I don't slow down, it too will shatter.

5 cat calls:

Kurt said...

Capital One High Yield Money Market Account.

* Great rate
* No fees, no minimum balance
* Easy access to your money

3.50% annual yield

mendacious said...

you simply must get that $ into savings. as one who has none you must live for the rest of us on this acct. maybe ING? it's 4% i think.
are you making lists? that always helps me : D

hee..: along with get passport, money in savings, research politics, plan vacation, buy a new outfit.

jenn said...

I feel a little like that, too. My job is going well, I really like it, and I'm getting great recognition, but it comes at the expense of other things, particularly my ability to spend any real time with Dan. And, like you, it's not that I'm unhappy, but I also worry about the opportunity cost and about my ability to keep everything in balance.

P.S. Another fabulously written post.

penelope said...

Try FNBO Direct. It's all online, super easy, and less tempting to withdraw from. The rates aren't particularly stellar today, but they aren't anywhere. I think it's 3.85. We all sound like we're advertising!

Anyway, in regards to the rest, take care of you... And this is more great writing.

ashley said...

Thanks for the advice on the finances! Maybe I should just turn the money over to y'all?

And thanks for the compliments, ladies. You give me go-power!