Sunday, December 11, 2011

When the Chips are Down, Wager Boldly

At an outing with coworkers on Friday afternoon, I revealed that I would not be attending the company Christmas party because I was attending the holiday festivities of The Engineer's workplace. It was a fine trade-off with me in most respects; I'd planned to attend the ATown office Christmas party on Friday, so missing the big shindig in Hotlanta didn't sadden me too much.


The revelation was followed by a million questions about The Engineer, and I was honest with them in saying that I was undecided as to his fate in my love life. And that in general, I was exhausted with dating and ready to wash my hands of the whole evil business. That's when things got interesting.

RK, who is part-owner of the firm, threw a $20 bill to the bar floor. "That's $200," he yelled. "It's $200 on you."

I looked at him open-mouthed, wondering what he was all fired up about and finding it hard to take the $20 seriously where it lay beside his pedicured feet with their alternating red and green toenails. That's his lot in life for offering an outing of our choice to a bunch of ladies.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm putting $200 on you. And I may up the ante, but - let's record this," he barked.

One of my coworker dutifully dug out her iPhone and urged him to continue. "Today is December 9, 2011. And I'm wagering that in two years - TWO YEARS FROM RIGHT NOW - Ashley will be engaged. Or I owe her $200."

And that was that. I picked it up the $20 bill, looked into the iPhone and yelled, "I'll take that bet."

It's on, people.

4 cat calls:

pen said...

whoa. i love it.

schu said...

love.
(i hope my korean bosses do that for me.if i ever get one.it may be as hard for me to find a job as it is to find love. i am glad you have one even if we both understand the elusiveness of the other.)

schu said...

oh- also, can we talk about tyra's book and i haven't been watching ANTM but holycrap- i tune in and there's a live shoot and tyras "best selling book" and it was just.... i mean seriously. and how did that blonde girl get off track when clearly they were like we can't have 2 blondes in the last 3.

jenn said...

Wow. Bring it!